Yousef asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

How to deal with child trauma?

I have a physically abusive father who had a serious impact on me 3 months ago, at that time, he had an argument with my mother and choked her (thank God she's still alive today). However, this situation had a huge impact on me, every 2 weeks, I'd have the same recurring nightmare of my father doing something aggresive or horrible. Sometimes he'd kill me in my dreams, sometimes he'd kill someone else in my dreams, and sometimes he'd even choke my mother again in my dreams. Yesterday, he had another argument with my mother regarding finance but he thankfully didn't do anything aggresive to her. But guess what? Last night I still had the same nightmares. I'm really worried about my mental health as my self-esteem was also a part of my problem (But I got past that). I'm unfortunately not financially able to get a therapist but my school is planning on getting therapists to help students for free, yet it'll take some time. So, not sure what to do at the moment.

The best way is to ask for a help: the both psychological and spiritual. Some sufferers of traumatic stress are especially troubled by “disquieting thoughts,” which can become at times an overwhelming torrent of panic or rage. However, heartfelt prayer can help “sustain” you until those feelings pass. The Bible’s promise that “the peace of God that excels all thought will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus.”—Philippians 4:7.

Healing—whether physical, mental, or spiritual—is a gradual process. So it would be unrealistic to expect that prayer will bring instant peace to those seriously damaged by traumatic experiences. Yet, persistent prayer is vital. It will help keep the sufferer from being overwhelmed and driven to despair by post-traumatic emotions.

• Jesere

Call Child protective services