Why won't my hatchling turtle eat?

I got a new hatchling Southern Painted Turtle 2 weeks ago and he has not ate AT ALL. I've offered 6 different kinds of food (including live) I've tried in tank feeding and separate bowl feeding. When I feed him I normally count how much food I put in to see if he eats at least a few but he never does. I noticed he does poop but just won't eat. He is very active so I am assuming he is not sick...

How do I get him to eat? Is this normal? How long can he last without food? I really don't want him to starve to death. 

All help is appreciated. Thank you so much.

• oikoσ

This surprised me but I agree with an anonymous poster, especially on the temperature (80 water and 90 basking site) and the use of small live earthworms as food. One thing I would add is apparent daylength. gradually increase the length of time the basking light is on. Many turtles go dormant and stop eating in the winter. You have to make it think that spring is here. And don't panic just yet. Dormant turtles go months without eating.

• I have my water at 79 and I have gave him live worms a couple times he never eats them. I guess I would have to try increasing the basking time. Thank you!

Make sure it is warm enough. Reptiles do not feel like eating if it is cold. They also need to be warm to digest their food. Make sure the water is at least 80 degrees warm. Try feeding it earthworms or small strips of raw beef. Turtles detect food by movement and smell. If something is neither moving nor does it smell like food then they won't think it is food.  A wriggling worm should get it interested.

• My water is 79 degrees I'll bump it up a lil. I would have to try the earth worms and raw beef, I've tried given him live mealworms I'll try earthworms now. Thank you!