How to get rid of aphids on my red current bush.?

Update:

Ideally something natural that would not end up harming bees, ants etc. Any essential oils maybe like cedarwood or garlic?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

catch and put a bunch of Ladybugs on it and or Praying Mantis and walking sticks,, they will eat em.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Have you tried spraying them with water and washing them off? It actually works.

• KLB
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I keep aphids away from my roses by having marigolds near them. Aphids HATE the smell of marigolds, and stay away. It amazed me the first time i did this!

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Just use a hose and wash them off with a strong jet of water. 

I started having a problem on lettuces, so I planted a lot of flowers that attract ladybirds. I also bundled up old rosebay willowherb stems into small bundles (the stems are hollow) to act as places to overwinter.

Now I have a lot of ladybirds each year - and no aphids!

Last year I grew sunflowers, and on each and every one there was one ladybird on sentry duty.

There are also some beetles and lacewings that eat them - so recognise which are the good guys.

I thought my Holly was being attacked as there were little cocoons in some leaves - but it was the ladybirds and did no harm to the holly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Soapy water works well on killing aphids. Just add a squeeze of dish detergent in a bucket of water and drench the plant where the aphids are.

• You can drown them using soap and water.  Rub it in well, then use a hose to wash them off.

• 1 month ago

Use neem oil :)

• Satan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

2 methods

1) Insecticide - various, none are really nice

2) Introduce ladbybugs - they gorge on aphids - in turn, they're fed on by birds

• Bob
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Lady bugs........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.