Ri asked in HealthWomen's Health · 4 weeks ago

Diagnosis of UTI?

Went to a doctor because there is blood in my urine and my abdomen was hurting badly. Everytime I pee it burns and I have the urge to pee quite a lot. But all the doctor did was press my stomach (around my kidney), ask if there is any pain and diagnose me with UTI. Is urinalysis not required? Is that a normal procedure at the clinic? 

they should do a urinalysis with a culture and sensitivity to know which organism is causing it and which antibiotic would best treat it..

Source(s): nurse

Natural cure for UTI. 2 teaspoons of vinegar in a cup of water and drink it down. It should take care of it, if not, do another cup.

This is pretty standard to diagnose an UTI. Generally an urinalysis is not needed unless you get treatment and the treatment doesn't work or you have recurrent UTIs all the time.

So yes, this is common practice.

Source(s): I'm a RD

It is a uti but you would need ultrasounds and scans to find out if there is anything else there - From the beginning of 2019 I had various meds for uti because urine test showed bacteria, meds helped for a few weeks, this went on until November when I started vomiting and severe stomach pain, ER diagnosed kidney stones and sepsis, I got a stent put in to help drain bladder and since then I have had kidney stones blasted and another stent put in, next stent gets removed at end of month  - Go back and ask doctor for further tests it meds dont help

It helps to confirm a clinical diagnosis, but the culture part of it can cost up to $400.

Did you know you can purchase dip sticks that can help diagnose if there are white (pus) cells, or Nitrates, in your urine, over the counter??  I go 30 kits on Amazon for about $12. My girls are able to self test before they consider going in to see the provider.

It seems reasonable for an experienced doctor to make a diagnosis on the basis of your symptoms and an examination. Urinalysis can be helpful in confirming a UTI and identifying the best antibiotic to treat it but tests take time and cost money. With a diagnosis, you can start treatment immediately. It should be obvious in 3-4 days whether the diagnosis and treatment were correct. My doctor always insists that I provide a urine sample but starts treatment immediately anyway, before it has been tested.

Sounds like a normal procedure. A UTI is treated with a 2 week course of antibiotics such as Doxycycline

It's normal for doctors to perform physical exams like this.

You could ask your doctor for regular blood and urine tests at your next appointment if concerned.