do you think its a good idea to make a teenager do written work while they are grounded as part of their punishment ?

this coming weekend i will be grounded for coming home late for the 3rd time in 2 weeks, i will lose my phone tv pc and ALL forms of entertainment, i will be confined to my bedroom at ALL times, now my parents have told me as being grounded is a punishment, i will not be allowed to just lounge around on my bed all day i will be given written work to do i CANT belive how much work i will have to do ,

1 ) write a 4 page essay on the importance of coming home on time,

2) copy out essay, total 8 pages

3) write a page page essay on why its important to obey the rules

4) copy out essay total 8 pages

5) 200 LINES . i must learn to obey the rules at all times or be punished,

my parents say they want me to learn from my punishment and thats what the essays are for, i HATE writing essays and i think i am too old for lines , DO YOU AGREE WITH MY PARENTS OR IS MY PUNISHMENT TOO HARSH ?

Favorite Answer

I think this punishment is an ideal opportunity for you to show that you are a responsible person. In your shoes I'd write the best essays possible. I'd also do the lines they want in impeccable writing. When that's done, spend your time reading books you like. Doing it all perfectly will take the wind out of their sails won't it. Be all smiley and don't sulk like a sulky teenager. That way they have nothing to complain about. You have done your punishment a lot better than they expect of you. Good luck. Don't forget to stock up on reading material for when it's done.

• chris n
      3 weeks agoReport

Remember the saying. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.  Punishment is always miserable.  Avoiding it is better in the long run.

i dont think so, but i just wouldnt do it again so that way you wont have to get grounded again like that

• my parents say they want me to think about what i have done wrong and why i am being punished, they say the essays are to make me stop and think as well as to punish,
      i HATE essays so i will find this part of my punishment MISREABLE is this fair ?

I think that a teenager ought to be able to knock that out during an entire weekend without other distractions. Set yourself free and do some "free writing" to start off. Set a 5 minute timer and try the "cube" approach. For 5 minutes you take a tact and write like crazy. When the bell rings, you do the same with another tact.... 4x's, 4 tacts, total 20 minutes. And you go through those 4 approaches and decide which one will serve you best. Then you begin to write your essay with a direction and ideas. You can save yourself half a day that way! Maybe more. It's a great way to get over the blank page and start the brain working.

• sadly i will not be freed until monday morning for school so it doesnt matter how quickly i do the essays i will still be stuck in my room, i HATE doing essays my parents say they want me to think about what i have done wrong, hence the punishment essays, DO YOU AGREE WITH THIS ?

• Eva

I would prefer a more practical punishment, like cleaning out the garage or basement.

• yes i would prefer that to being shut away in my room all weekend writing boring essays and lines, why is it that you adults know it all and have never done anything wrong , i have no sympathy for a young person who is going to be punished ?

• .

I suspect your post is make-believe (your username is a giveaway, and it's an odd fetish) BUT if someone were in the position you claim to be in, the idea of punishment is for it to be something the 'offender' doesn't want to repeat. Clearly a child who refuses to follow the rules and habitually breaks them, hasn't had a punishment that dissuaded them from rule breaking. So when rules continue to be broken, punishments tend to become of a longer duration and/or more severe. 

• i have been grounded in the past, and i admit i am no angel, my parents say the essays are to make me think about what i have done wrong as well as to punish, plus in the past i told my parents i am happy to stay in my room and do nothing, so thats why i have work to do
      PUNISHMENT STINKS ?

what will they do to u if u refuse to write essay u troll

• i will be confined to my room until the work has been done which means i would be grounded next weekend as well, i dont want to be punished again its MISREABLE so i am just going to do the work, WHY IS PUNISHMENT SO HARD ?

• ?

Well, it certainly sounds like an effective punishment. Maybe you'll learn your lesson.

• i dont want to learn a lesson, i CANT stand being shut away in my room all weekend and i HATE writing essays and lines, i will miss my freedom so much punishment STINKS
      why cant my punishment be less painful ?

wow late 3 times in two weeks. You are lucky you don't have to rake 10 acres of leaves or dig a hole for a swimming pool. You are lucky you dont' get slapped or punched so hard you get knocked out. I would enjoy doing them essays.

• i would rather be outside then shut away in my room like a prisoner, i HATE writing boring essays and lines i dont like this punishment it STINKS why cant punishment be less painful ?