smiley56 asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

How does only eating once a day effect health?

I work as a cook in a cafeteria and regularly work 10 hour days with a one hour lunch break, so I'm at work from 10:30am-9:30pm. Usually by the time I get home from work its a little past 10 and the thought of food just makes me queezy. Whenever I et to close to bed time I get heartburn which isn't fun. I usually wake up around 9am but I've never been much of a morning eater either. (usually I end up vomiting if I do push myself and eat breakfast which has happened so long I'm just used to it). So basically I live on just a cup of coffee or tea with a splash of milk around noon when my stomach settles down and one big meal around 3, healthy foods for the most part (lots of salads and stir-fries) but still... I'm just wondering if it'll mess my metabolism up or something long term?  

• Louis

It probably won't mess up your metabolism but it is not a good idea. 

There are many reasons but maybe the most important is what is called absorption time and utilization. 

For instance, let's just use protein in an example. And let's say your RDA is 60 g. only about 20 - 30 grams of protein is absorbable per meal. So to hit your daily target you would have to eat at least 2 meals a day. And probably even more often. 

There are other nutrients that work like that too. 

Not optimum but you could try a breakfast smoothie in the morning and something bland when you get home. If you are getting heartburn in bed try taking a Tums before bed. Sleeping on your back with your head elevated also might help. 

• edward

My mom has the diabetes from long term abuse like that. I work in the hospital, similar to my mom and my eating schedule was irregular for months. I got it fixed though. You really should eat breakfast or at least a cup of orange juice, it’s good for you.