Why are theme parks located far from city center?

Disneyland and Elitch Gardens are the only parks I can remember that are located close to their cities' downtown.

Disney was first built then the city grew out to it. I grew up in Florida. I use to shuttle rental cars back and forth from Jacksonville to Orlando and back. When Disney first opened it was nothing but orange groves. I use to love to drive into Orlando all you could smell was those orange blossoms. Most of the city grew out to Disney. It was not meant to be near the city.

• MS

They take up a lot of space, which isn't usually available right in the middle of a city center or downtown area.  It also helps minimize traffic that might develop in the city on busy theme park days.

• TBK

to put it simply availability of land

Theme parks take up a lot of land for the facility and parking.  Land in city centers is too expensive and simply not available.

Space. Theme parks take up a lot of it. To buy inner city real estate is prohibitively expensive. When Disneyland started Orange county was the boonies as well.