Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Is it possible to get secretly married ? ?

I am 22 and I wanted to get secretly married without my parents knowing. Is this possible? 

I am under their health insurance and I am apart of their auto Insurance policy as someone that lives with them and drives their car. They also claims me as a dependent on their taxes 

If I complete my own taxes and get my own Insurance, will their auto insurance company notify them that I am married ? 

What are other things that can possible notify them that I have changed my marital status ? 

We will be getting married at a courthouse. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

As long as you live under your parents' roof the medical/auto insurance companies don't care if you're married or not. Clearly if you're earning enough to file your own tax return you can no longer be claimed as a dependent. But marriage is the step you take when you're ready to start a real life with a partner. There's no reason to do it if you're not moving in together and taking on your own financial responsibilities. You're about three years too young to make a marriage work anyway. So get out onto your own two feet and THEN get married. All this subterfuge for a premature secret marriage that'll just fail anyway is pointless.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Is it possible? Maybe for an idiot. Immaturity thinking here.

• 1 month ago

It's such a strange thing to do, endangering your parents and putting them in the position of committing fraud in numerous ways, I wonder what is in it for you? Why do you wish to be secretly wed? What is in it for you? People get away with all sorts of things until they day they don't. But.. what's in it for you?

• Tepee
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes there are places (like Las Vegas) where you could get married quickly.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If you get married, you can't continue using your parents' insurances and this would constitute fraud unless you let their insurance companies know. And after you do, they'd likely drop you

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Sorry, but every sane adult will think the same thing as we read this.  If you're mature enough to get married, you should be mature enough to tell your parents.  Also, you're asking the wrong questions.

The auto insurance company won't tell your parents you're married, but so what?  Don't you think your parents will wonder when you suddenly start paying your own health & auto insurance, and doing your own taxes?  How does that convo go when you tell them they can no longer claim you as a dependent?  And I hope you realize you HAVE to do this.  If you don't, your parents will be committing tax & insurance fraud.  Also, have you added up what these insurance plans will cost? 

The bottom line is, you will never keep this secret.  If your parents get suspicious, marriages are public records, and all they have to do is check on it.

• 1 month ago

This would be a very poor choice on your part, and strongly suggests that you are not mature enough or ready to marry at all.  You would hide this from your own parents? You don't think this would cause them great pain when they found out (& they will !) ?  You think you could commit crimes and get away with them, without discovery and subsequent prosecution? (You will be discovered!) Honey, if this is your thinking, you are not READY to get married. Enough said?

• 1 month ago

Sorry to laugh, but, you are an adult, presumably mature enough to get married, right? So why are you afraid to tell your parents that you are in love, gerring married and moving out?. When people get married, they support themselves while living an adult lifestyle. That includes paying for everything they need in life by themselves and without help from Mommy and Daddy.

You will have to tell them because if they claim you on their taxes, that is tax fraud, which is a federal crime. If you stay on their medical insurance, that is insurance fraud and so would be the auto insurance. So, DO NOT cause them all that grief and turmoil.

Move out and take YOUR own insurance policies out in your new married name/married status.

Listen, marriage is not a game and a little secret to keep from your mommy and daddy. If you're going to live in the adult world and play like an adult oh, you have to act like one and be responsible for yourself. If you don't have the finances take care of your own basic necessities, then you're not ready to get married at all.

Yes people can get secretly married, but your parents will suffer the consequences because your decision not to tell them will cause them unwillingly to commit fraudulent activity. So be it adult and don't do it, please. I really don't think you're ready to get married or mature enough to do so. If you can't face your parents how are you going to face life outside of their home?

• 1 month ago

yep, i did it for 10 yrs.

• Dr. Stephanie
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Great...you committed a crime and you are now encouraging someone else to do the same?

• 1 month ago

At 22 you are really still learning about your adult self; and especially if your man is a similar age - men can take a lot longer! Your parents love you and want the best for you. It would probably upset them terribly and damage your relationship with them. They will always be your parents - how certain can you be that your marriage will last for that long? We fall madly in love, don’t we, thinking (feeling rather) that it will last forever and is enough for a serious relationship. However, it’s very hard to live on an emotional high for very long. Eventually we start to come down from the ecstasy, excitement, strong passions and desires, typically after around 18 months to three years (people vary of course). If couples are friends, discuss their mutual values, shared ambitions, interests, etc., in some depth (obviously there will be some differences, which help make relationships interesting), and make plans, work on their personal development, etc., this can develop into a long and wonderful relationship. If one party feels insecure or low in self respect, it can make for a difficult partnership. It's easy to behave at our best when in love, but marriage, for example, requires a lot of self discipline, sacrifice, compromise and flexibility. If a strong friendship is not in place, the relationship will probably peter out eventually - or worse. Quite often we fall in love because we are lonely and allow ourselves to be won over by anyone who takes an interest in us. Thus we give away control to somebody else if we are not careful. This is another reason for taking things very slowly, and really getting to know someone before committing ourselves or getting too emotionally or sexually involved. Sex can be emotionally bonding, which is disastrous if the other things are not there: strong friendship, similar values and standards, common interests, etc.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.