Laurin asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

What's wrong with my goldfish?

My three year old common goldfish has not been swimming hardly at all for almost two weeks. I was thinking he has swim bladder disease, but I've read that disease usually causes them to swim upside down and he hasn't been upside down at all. He does swim up to the top of the aquarium really fast then nose dive back down and hit the gravel and just sit there. I've also noticed he's leaning to one side a little bit, but not all the time. Hes just been sitting on the gravel for many hours at a time for two weeks, not moving at all. And when he does swim it's like he has to stop and take a break after 10 seconds. I didn't feed him for 2 and a half days and I'm still feeding him every other day in case it's swim bladder disease. I also bought treatment for bacterial/fungal/viral/parasites and tomorrow is my last day of using that treatment and I haven't really seen a difference. 

Any advice? Thanks!

It sounds more like lack of oxygen.  You need to test or get the results of test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.  you need to get the numbers, not just some petstore employee telling you that the water is good or bad.  Make sure to do 30-45% water changes a week with a gravel vacuum, and sift well through the gravel every time.

Swim bladder disease can cause the fish to swim strangely, not always upside down.  The swimm bladder controls boyency, a fish with this disease may struggle to stay straght up.  Being stuck upside down would be an extreme example. 

The swim bladder is a completly seperate organ from the stomach, and diet changes can not help  swimm bladder issues.  Fasting the goldfish can hurt and can help with constipation issues.  

Medicine is very hard on fish, they side effects can be worse then the initial illness. You have to have a more clear diagnosis.before tretment!  Have you seen him poop?  is he eating?   if not, offer some peeled pees, consider a 15 minute salt dip.

• Laurin2 months agoReport

Well, I'm going to buy the test to check the water tomorrow and if they're okay I'm going to do the dip.

• Steve

To possibly help, I ask do you have a filter/cleaner installed or replaced the water often enough if it is a small container?

• Steve

I guess you can go to a pet store and ask for help and also call your neighborhood veterinarian for help.