Why does the UK passport office do this?

I applied to renew my passport, they requested my old one back before they work on the application. I thought, fair enough that must be to help stop fakes or something, so I sent it back. Then they emailed saying my new passport was approved and they are sending me the new passport and the old one in separate envelopes. There isn't a problem I just wonder why they requested my old passport only to send it back and separately from the new passport, does anyone know why? Seems odd.

• Cara
    Favorite Answer

They need it back to cancel it - they will have put some stamps on it, or cut off a corner to show it's not valid any more. Probably a different office does that, so sent it separately. They sent it back because it's your property - I have old passports that I've kept to remind me of all those journeys, long ago!

• Ding Dong
      4 weeks agoReport

Ah right, brill.

When I had to renew my first passport, which was issued pre-EU and full of stamps, I was pretty devastated when when I read it was required to be sent in.  I was all sorts of relieved to read it would be returned cancelled.  Granted I'm from the US so the cancellation "marking" is different but the same basic procedure applies. 

The old passport is officially cancelled, by having a corner of the 'book' cut-off'.

They confirm your old passport was valid, and not retained for fraudulent use. When it's returned, the corner is cut off, and presumably it's marked in the passport system as deactivated.

• Susie

In case one gets lost or damaged in the mail. 

• Ding Dong
      4 weeks agoReport

Err no, I won't be able to use the old one. Not sure if you are joking, some kind of odd humour....