What should I do?

Hello I have a question what should I do? I went to the doctor's because I was feeling sick and had been throwing up. I filled out all the paperwork except for a part where they asked for my debit information. The receptionist then stated I had to put my debit card information in order to cover what my insurance doesn't cover and whatever my insurance doesn't cover they give 90 days for me to pay and she states you have insurance. The results were that i was pregnant i did a urine and blood test. I let the doctor know that it was my first time and my partner was the only person that i had been with in my life. So I was then scheduled to come back two days later for my very first ultra sound for my baby. i checked in and then the same receptionist comes and tells me that I don't have insurance. She states you don't have insurance and tries to get to me get services done without it then says we do have your debit card on file I told her i couldn't afford to pay for the expenses out of pocket so I left. I receive an expensive bill in the mail 2 month's later from where i got the services done, plus a separate bill from the lab where the doctor went and tested me for std's and i was not informed about it. I did not consent to be being tested and never would have since it was my first time and my only partner. On the bill from the lab it says your doctor may have not told u a specimen was sent to them for further testing. What should i do?

I did have insurance I called the insurance company that i have and they stated I was insured!!!! So i had insurance.

Call your insurance company and tell them that the doctor said that you do have insurance - get it straightened out.  If you have to ask for a supervisor to get accurate details, do it.  If they will cover it, then you only owe the difference - deductible, co-pays, percentage of the bills.  If you were not covered, then you owe the bills.  Based on what was presented, they did the STD test.  If they did not and you had one, they could have been sued.  It would have been irresponsible of them not to do that test.  Since you can't even afford to pay the bills, I hope you are going to have an abortion.  The hospital stay, the cost of having the child and raising it - you won't be able to do that either, unless your bf has a very good and stable job and can and will support the child.  Don't count on it if he is young and stupid.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • n2mama

Did you provide your insurance card to the clinic at the time you went for treatment? The only way the receptionist would know if you had insurance is if you provided your insurance card and information. If you did have insurance, had you met your deductible before this visit? Was this doctor an in network provider? Insurance does not pay for everything and anything, especially if you went to a doctor that wasn’t a participating plan provider. 

Relative to the std test, it is standard to test a pregnant woman for stds because of the potential risk to the fetus. You don’t have to consent for them to do the test. If you truly believe you had valid insurance at the time services were provided, you can call the clinic and ask them to resubmit the charges to your insurance. Otherwise you should pay the bill. Medical debts don’t disappear, and they absolutely will turn things over to collections and damage your credit.

• n2mama
      4 weeks agoReport

Not all doctors accept all insurance. And even if your doctor participates, you still have to meet deductibles, etc. And once your deductible has been met, your insurance still doesn’t pay 100% of all costs. There is more to this, I’m sure.

You got pregnant your first time...why on earth were you not using protection your first time?  Thats another story and good luck to you...

Is this doctor in your network?  How about the lab they used for the testing?  You are young and this will end up being a learning experience for you...again, good luck.  

What should you do?  Pay the bill and submit to your insurer for reimbursement.  

• Eva

You should know whether or not you have insurance. You would have had to show them your insurance card. If you don't, have a limited income, and are in the US you should apply for Medicaid. They will pay bills that are 3 months old or less, so don't waste time getting this done. They can also refer you to another doctor to help you through your pregnancy and delivery. If you're afraid they'll try to charge your debit card, cancel it and get a new one.

if u have insurance u should send them the bill from the doctor. also they always test all pregnant women for stds, doesn't matter whether it is the only partner or u re married or whatever. I do not know about your country which is usa most probably, but where I live they test every pregnant woman for  aids when they take blood test for other things.

also I read that in usa all pregnant women go on governmental insurance (I think it is called Medicaid) if they can not afford their own

• Rick B

I'm confused.  You did not know that you were uninsured?????  What did you think would happen if you needed healthcare?????  You gambled and lost, now you have to pay.

Since you are pregnant, you may be able to get free or reduced healthcare through your county.  See if there is information on your county government's website.  Find a charity clinic in your area and see if they can help you sign up for some kind of benefits.

As far as the STD tests, that is pretty common with pregnancy.  If you have an STD it could be very dangerous to the baby.  You say this is your first time; that does not mean that your partner does not have an STD that was transmitted to you.