Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 3 months ago

How should I handle this situation? And am I in the wrong?

I luckily was able to obtain a brand new income based townhome about 2 months after applying. It usually takes between 5-10 years. My spouse did not want to move there because of the location. So we stayed at out current home. I did not want to give up my income based townhome just in case I ever needed it in the future. So I let my mother, uncle and his 9 year old daughter live there. Unfortunately our grumpy neighbors are constantly complaining about our 4 year old, and we are getting threats of eviction. There isn't really any options of affordable homes that are decent in the city where I live. So I suggested to my spouse that we move into the townhouse. My spouse stated that if he moves there, my mother can stay. But said that my uncle needs to try to look for another place before we move there in 4 months. My mother and uncle are upset about this. There has been alot of fussing and hurtful words said. My mother stated that she hates me amongst other things. Things even got physical between my uncle and spouse. They are now threatening to go to the rent office and tell that they have been staying there, so that I can lose my place. I do feel guilty because my uncle and his daughter left from another relatives house where they were comfortable. And now they aren't able to return there because there is no longer any room. I also never gave them a time limit on how long they could stay at my townhouse. Are me and my spouse in the wrong? And how should I handle this?

Well in the end i didn't get put out. They tried to get me put out by going to the rental office and telling them that i subleased the townhouse. Thankfully the property manager told them that they are not on the lease, so they would have to leave. But no one answered my question of was i in the wrong for telling my uncle he had 5 months to leave after i originally told him that he could stay as long as he wanted to? 

Well, you have been committing fraud so this could end badly and I'm sure there are lots of more deserving people (than your mother and uncle) who could've used that place but that's water under the bridge now.

So, I would tell your mother and uncle that he has to move out, you are sorry but there is no room for him.  As they complain, just tell them you are very sorry but there simply isn't enough room.  Could they possibly switch places with you for where you are now (with the approval of your current landlord?).

If they do report you then you are truly screwed as you will lose the place, and have a deserved bad mark on your history, however they gain nothing from doing this so it sounds like they probably won't do this (ghost them from your life if they do - what kind of a jerk would report this). 

Even if they simply refuse to move you are in major trouble as you can't really evict them since trying to do so would bring up that you have been committing fraud and you'd still lose the place.

Still, if you simply tell them to leave and stick to your guns then they probably will have no choice. 

Maybe you could get them to leave and help them a bit with the first months rent or so, so that they don't report you.

Holy crap.  Do you honestly not see the series of bad choices you've made, including fraud?  This all began when you secured the townhome but apparently forgot to ask your spouse if he'd move with you.  But on that fraud, how long do you think it will take for them to figure out that YOU, the applicant, haven't been living in the townhome?  They're probably already investigating. 

So my 1st idea is get legal advice.  My 2nd one is kick out whomever you want.  But if this includes anyone not part of the original application, you need legal advice on that, too.  You don't seem to understand how serious that fraud thing is.  If you look carefully through what you signed, you'll see what I mean.

You are SEVERELY in the wrong in MANY ways!!!

"I did not want to give up my income based townhome just in case I ever needed it in the future. "  TO bad. You do not have the option to keep it if you are not going to live there. 

"I let my mother, uncle and his 9 year old daughter live there. " You had NO RIGHT to do that! You cannot let other people not on your lease live in the unit. 

"we are getting threats of eviction. " They have every right to evict you for multiple unauthorized tenants!!! 

" I suggested to my spouse that we move into the townhouse." That is what you are legally required to do & should have done in the 1st place. 

"My spouse stated that if he moves there, my mother can stay." That IS NOT her choice!!! If mom is not on your lease then she cannot live there. 

What you have done is a violation of the lease & benefits fraud which is a federal crime. 

• Eva

You had no right to put someone else in the townhome just because you wanted to save it. Your mother and uncle would be foolish to report you as they both would lose their home anyway. You've given your uncle plenty of time to find another place.

You are wrong in that you let them stay there, that is benefits fraud actually.

You are not wrong in the ability to ask them to leave.

• Maxi

" income based" suggests you are getting cheap rent and the other portion of the rent is being paid by tax payers........... which means you are defrauding the tax payer and using the property for other people without permission and KNOWING you are committing fraud and you want help! Learn to be honest, learn not to steal and lie

You have illegally allowed others to move into public housing without approval and you think its your house?

Sounds like everyone will be evicted soon.

I dated a girl once who lived in section 8. Spent the night one time and after that she was paranoid they would kick her out if I did it again.  She was not turning me down for sex. She was fine with that. Did not matter to me because I didn't really want to stay.

• Judy

Oh geez, you are in serious trouble. When you get subsidized housing, it is illegal to just let someone else move in instead. If the authorities find out what you've done, you AND the people you've allowed to move in illegally will be kicked out, you won't be given a replacement place and you might be prosecuted. Yes you are very much in the wrong. You say "my townhouse" like it's yours, it's not. To have any chance of fixing this, you need to move in there and get your uncle and his daughter out before anyone finds out what you did, and hope nobody tells the rental office. It might already be too late. You might not be allowed to let your mom live there either, probably not.