Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

How come they say boxer dogs or indoor and cant be left outside in cold or hot for long periods of time like ours we do nd theyre just fine?

I looked up thought thr if our boxers were outside in the summer for more than 4 to 5 hours rheyed die they didn they seem to like it better than cold unless its 32 degreez or 90 or 95 i cud understand but like if we can stand beinf out side i mean like the internet said one thing yet wen we bought em like to me internet lied ? But our boxers arent pushed in faces so i looked this up the image german boder uk boxer american boxer ours look american bloodline closed so is basicaly just the climate theyre brought up in? No we dnt leave our dogs out all day everyday we bring em in at 9 let em out in the morbing we got shade nd 2 pales of water and a trampoline for them to run under for more shade but i mean any answers does it matter if the boxer face pushed in or not ours stood outside longer then net says nd they never died so .....

Attachment image

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Me Basset Hound puppy is never allowed to be indoors. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Boxers have a thinner coat.  Its not very protected for cold and rain or a lot of sun.  As long as its not too cold or if its sunny, there is shade for the dog, they can be outside for awhile.  

• 4 weeks ago

Because Boxers are single coated dogs and short haired, meaning they have less hair to cover their skin and so both sunburn and feel the cold far more easily than a double coated breed does. You should also brush up greatly on your English language as your question is hard to decipher.

just an ole Shepherd his double coated dogs and stock

Attachment image
  • 4 weeks ago

PR and ANON have actually tried to decipher your BLATHER of SPELLING and GRAMMATICAL errors, but I have better things to do with MY TIME.  

I do not believe in leaving dogs outside and unsupervised for long periods of time & I don't think deciding if they are LIVE OR DEAD (when you return) is a good way to determine their COMFORT or well-being, during the long periods of outdoor isolation.  You cannot "UNDO" a DEAD DOG!!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Only lazy people like you get a dog and leave it outside for any length of time. No dog should ever be left outside for extended amounts of time especially left alone. People will Steal dogs that are left outside and neighbors will throw poison over the fence 

Since you care nothing for the dogs they need to be given to a better home

• ...Show all comments
    • Star_of_Darkness
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

You have WORKING dogs that do work, not pet dogs that are tossed into a yard all day and night. That's what lazy people do. I don't know any well trained working dog that would allow any fool to just walk into a yard 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The majority of dog breeds with shortened faces because of breed have difficulty breathing in severe cold and hot and humid weather.   Dogs like bulldogs, Boston terriers, boxers etc.  not all dogs have the issue but the vast majority do compared to breeds like German shepherd, Doberman, Labrador etc.

As for not leaving a dog outside in the winter for long hours, I have had our boxer mix, beagle, Boston, Labrador’s and kelpie out in 25 degree weather running around and having a blast in the snow, however I have to keep a special run on the body on because of her breathing and her size, she’s usually plowing in deep show (we literally have to pick her up when time to come in, she loves tunneling). As long as the dogs are not wet, overheated, their paws are fine, they have straw or hay to stand on to get off the snow, they are not shivering etc then they usually stay out as long as we do.  Our boxer is crossed with ridgeback and she wears a rug because of no undercoat, the Doberman wears a sweatshirt usually because she usually shivers unless the sun is out.

If dogs can get off the ice, snow or ground that’s holding more cold usually than the air, they do pretty good as long as it’s not some strange minus thirty, then no dogs do well outside, they tend to freeze toes, feet, ear tips, noses etc and short muzzled breeds have a harder time breathing than longer nosed dogs but in the super cold all dogs can have issues in the severe cold.

Being out in the summer in 90 degree heat, direct sunlight, no shade, no place to get out of the direct sunlight and off concrete, Tar etc dogs tend to burn their feet and can sunburn their noses, if they are pink or light skinned and it’s super again there’s an issue with any dog breathing but short muzzles usually are at a disadvantage because of their build.

not absolutely everything on the internet is 100% accurate, they are usually referring to general terms.  Let’s say you have a dog that can be out in 100 degree weather with no issues, we will aSo say on the same hand that there is a water mister for the go to stand in when they wish, a wading pool, a fan to stand in front off to cool down, a well insulated dog house, a never ending supply fresh water and the dog spends every day from sun up to sun corn without any problems.

Now let’s say the neighbor of that dog leaves thrir dog out in the yard, it’s solid blacktop so no bugs to bother the dog.  There are concrete steps for the dog stand  on.  So why when the dog was standing on the blacktop in 100 degree heat (blacktop only 140 degrees) did the dog die from heatstroke having a heatstroke seizure, after all the dogs with the pool, shelter and fan are just fine.

I’ve got some dogs that have a single coat while others have a double coat, doesnt matter the breed or the coat, if it’s too hot for that particular animal then it should stay inside where it’s sheltered from the weather.  Same for severe cold, unless they have an underground den to keep themselves warm, an insulated dog house, a heated dog house and a place they can stand that isn’t bare ground or snow/ice covered.

Fun less you have proper fencing, shelter and adequate water supply no dogs are supposed to be outside unsupervised all day.  Even my working dogs get breaks during the day to either take a nap, run free or whatever.  I don’t just put them outside and bring them in whenever, they are supervised a s checked well before going back to work.

Also when it comes to the internet it’s accuracy is only as good as the information provided.  Where did they get the information from?  Who’s responsible for wrong data. Can we sue them when they are not spot on correctly with the answer?     Another good example one of the dogs I had the internet stated that the dogs lifespan was from 8 to 12 years, I found myself laughing when I was talking to the vet about my dog that would be turning 20 years old at the end of the month.  The internet was not even close on that.

The internet can be used as a guide to help learn things that people didn’t know before, and as a general rule dogs should not be leafy unattended for an afternoon, night etc. either indoors or outdoors because they tend to get into things when they are unsupervised.  And especially outside alone, weather can come up, some jerk could through poison bait to the dogs, or let them loose from the yard etc-  It’s for their safety to keep tabs on them as well.  Not all dogs do well outside alone either, they could become a barking problem or get some vide like digging or chewing etc   it’s for their own safety.

• Veschengro
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

Dobermanns are also single coated  short haired Dogs Thus the liver coloured variety sunburn very quickly and easily also unless provided with shade and water outside

• PR
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I am not sure I entirely understand what you are asking. Dogs with shorter fur will not be comfortable outside in the cold. Their fur does not make enough insulation to keep them warm. They will get cold.

Regarding warm weather, perhaps a Boxer might be O.K. in weather in the 80's as long as there is water as you have said, and plenty of shade. Of course, the dogs can play and such.

But, the fact that as you have said, " they never died", does not mean they are comfortable or happy. If you are judging if they are O.K. because they are still alive, this does not seem like a good criteria to base your decision on.

In heat, a dog might pant a lot; or stay in the shade due to discomfort; or drink a lot of water; or not want to move around as much as they ought to. The heat can be hard on them and just because they didn't die right off, does not mean they will live a healthy life, and it doesn't mean they will live as long as they should, or even live the next season.

In the cold, a short-haired dog is extremely uncomfortable, and will lose a lot of body heat.

Perhaps the question is WHY the dogs need to be outside? If you got these dogs, don't you want them with you, to enjoy them and be companions? If they are not house trained, then use dog cages for training. If you want them for protection, they will be better inside for that. Boxers are also considered good companions for children, and it is assumed you children are inside most of the time with you?

In deciding if your dogs are comfortable, spend some time outside with them. Watch them and see what they do, how they act, etc. Spend at least two hours out there constantly with them. Are you comfortable? What are they doing? 

I would suggest these dogs could be outside for an hour or two during the day, in 80ish degree weather. During the cold weather such as 45 deg. F or highter, an hour might also be O.K. Lower than 45 deg. F would be quite cold for dogs with such short fur and likely shorten their lifespan or cause ills you simply are not seeing. They can also develop hypothermia. If a dog shivers, it IS uncomfortable. Spend two hours outside in the cold with your dogs WITHOUT a hat or gloves, and only a light jacket.

Bring them inside so they can be your friends - you have chosen a good family dog. Boxers LIKE to be with their family and will make great pets, if you do this. Your vet can also comment on what weather these dogs can comfortably live in. Don't make them live in extremes just because " they never died". If they died, or if they got really sick, you will have the SPCA at your door or another animal services organization, and you can be fined or ticketed for not taking care of the dogs.

• 4 weeks ago

When our spoiled Doberman gets cold, he shakes profusely, so he stays inside a lot.  Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you asked this specific question anonymously?     

• ...Show all comments
    • You're welcome - There's quite a few clowns on here that have great fun eavesdropping on other users, gives them a sense of empowerment ... but now they're getting a spotlight

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

NO DOGS should be left outside for long periods of time. Why have a dog if it is not going to be part of your family???? Boxers have lots of palette and breathing issue that can be exacerbated by heat or cold. They also have short coats that are not very good at insulating.

There are so many typos in your post, that I am not 100% sure that I understand your question. 

"yet wen we bought em like to me internet lied"  Huh????

"ours look american bloodline closed so is basicaly just the climate theyre brought up in"  No idea what that means.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.