Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

is it healthy to cry yourself to sleep..?

I usually don't cry in general, pain and emotional stuff. I have a very high pain tolerance and the last time I cried from pain was when I spilled hot soup on my days-old facial stitches (I split my chin open (like from the corner or my mouth to under my chin giant gaping cut, everyone was shocked I didn't break my jaw or mess up any teeth) I took an ambulance straight to the ER) (ok sorry for over explaining that) But so recently, I've been crying myself to sleep because I just feel sad. I don't know why. I usually just suck it up, but I've been crying myself to sleep for 5 or 6 nights straight. I don't even know if that's healthy at this point.

Favorite Answer

Crying has a calming effect often because tear fluid carries stress hormones out of the body. I don’t see a problem with it.  Why isn’t it as valid as laughing, getting angry, feeling fear or any other subjective emotional state? It’s all part of being human.

If it’s winter where you are, seasonal affective disorder issues can make depression worse due to low vitamin d levels etc....you could try supplementing. 

When sunlight hours start to increase , you might start to feel better regardless of whatever issues you’re dealing with.

Also if you’re capable of physical exercise and can do it on your own or maybe get a cheap membership to planet fitness for example, and do that as much as possible it’s an amazing anti-depressant. It’s what’s keeping me alive basically.