Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAlternativeParanormal Phenomena · 2 months ago

Is it okay to put salt above the door so people wont see it? I want to ward off evil people from our entering our house.?

Is it okay to put salt

above the door so people wont see it? I want to ward off evil people from our entering our house.

You need to be careful about that.  You might find out that someone who lives at your house can't get in.

• Hunter

Salt won't do anything for you to keep evil out. The Old Ways used mistletoe and holly to keep the Dark away. That's the true origin of "decking the halls with boughs of holly," came from-- to keep evil away during the twelve day period between Christmas and Epiphany (January 6th) when the Dark was the strongest. Of course, when Christianity tried to wipe out everything that didn't conform to that belief, the old ways were forgotten or in some cases, assimilated into Christian lore. Now people think kissing under mistletoe is "romantic," but that isn't its real purpose.

Salt is a cleanser, but you can 'charge' a penny or dime and put that up there instead.

• John

It's ok with me if you want to put salt above the door.  My personal style for keeping people I don't like out of the house is to just lock the door.

Salt above your door will probably cause a problem with paintwork after a time. What do you mean by evil? We are all evil, be it just a little or a lot. If salt worked (and I'll will give you 6 to 4 on it won't) it should keep everyone away. If that is what you want, put up a no caller sign as this removes a persons implied right of access to your property, or simply don't answer the door. There is some truth in vampires staying away from garlic. 

That only came about when people found that fleas and other parasites were repulsed by garlic as it tainted the blood. Therefore, it must keep vampires away. I suppose it works as not one vampire in sight. Same with salt. Someone may have expected an evil person to visit them one day but they didn't show up. It would be easy for a primitive person to blame that on the salt he spilt on the floor by accident. It will be down to some old wives tale from years ago. Put it on your chips rather than waste it.

Apply a pentacle. Strangely, it could have an effect. 

If you want to, why not.

The only possible effects it will have are attract moisture and possibly rot the doorframe, though.

"Supernatural" stuff is just old stories made up to try and explain things people back then could not understand - it's all fantasy.

There is no such thing.

• Gary K

Sodium Chloride (salt) is one of the most abundant minerals on Earth.  It's virtually everywhere.  To date, it hasn't seemed to have had much success in warding off evil.  

You can put salt above the door if it makes you feel better, but that's about all it's going to do. 

• Gary K

I imagine EG to be as obnoxious and dim-witted in real life, as he is in cyberspace.  https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Lowest%20Common%20Denominator 

• If you own the house put whatever you like above the door. I don't know why you would imagine that a bit of seasoning is going to make any difference to anything though. 

Have you considered purchasing a lock for your door instead? 

Sure but realize it's as effective as gun free zone signs in deterring a gunman.