Is joining the military simply to get out of a toxic environment a good reason to enlist?

I'm sure there will be toxic people in the army too however it seems that most people who join are just sick in tired of making excuses and hearing them from others. They are simply trying to turn their lives and around, achieve their goals and focus on their futures without screwing someone else over or am I wrong? Honestly I feel like I simply need a fresh start and I can't expect any of my toxic friends to help. My family is struggling to survive so there isn't much they can do for me either. Is Uncle Sam gonna use me just like everyone else has in the past or can this really be something I can rely on to get me back on my feet? The military was never my first option but I always considered it a last resort. Now that I'm at that point, many people are saying that I made a mistake but I still have the same drive and determination as anyone else. I'm just as motivated as ever because if I fail I don't have much to come back to. Do people like me generally go far or do you think I'll just get kicked out or give up?

• Mrsjvb

as the only reason, no.  as one of several pros, it's fine.  

if you join as a last resort, you will fail miserably.  the military requires you to give 110% of yourself at all times.  and you join to be a part of something bigger than yourself, not because you have a shitty home life.  

That's the reason nearly EVERYONE joins the military.  They come from places where there are no other opportunities available.  

You might be thinking you made a mistake now and it will probably SUCK completely like prison while you're in there.  You either gonna be scrubbing toilets in safety or fighting for your life in a warzone.  There is no in between.  It's like Kathy Griffin fugged Biggie Smalls and a bipolar stepchild popped out.

I've figured out they mostly call it "work" because it's a lot of hard work getting outta bed every morning and showing up to a job you despise.  You probably won't regret it in retirement though.

• Michael
      3 weeks agoReport

Says someone who has never been within 100 feet of anyone who ever served.

• ricky

I think you would be doing yourself a favor by entering the military. first choice should be National Guard, then Air Forcce Navy, then Army. It will provide you with a structure psychology speaking, as well as heath care. Removed cataract , cure of Hepititis, removed cancer from my liver. Total cost to me was less than $200 1/2 million dollars otherwise.