Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 4 weeks ago

Tax Returns?

2018 was my first year filing taxes, I set it up so that I could receive my money as a direct deposit, but since i was a first time filer I had to go and verify my identity, at the irs office. However I never I went in to verify myself, and now it’s time for me to file again, and I was wondering if the money I was suppose to get for 2018 would add on to my tax return for this year.

Ps: Yes I was lazy and procrastinating for my returns of 2018

• Eva

They don't add one year to the next. You will still have to go verify to get your 2018 refund and you wouldn't get your 2019 either without doing it.

No, you have to go in and verify your identity so you can get the other refund. All years are entirely separate.

Did the IRS say why you have to verify your identity? This typically means that they suspect identity theft. It could be that someone else is using your social security number. This is potentially a lot more serious than not getting your tax refund. You can also verify your identity online or over the phone. You should take care of that first thing.

To answer your question, the tax years are treated separately. If you have a refund for two years, they would issue two payments. 

• Judy

no, each year is separate, but you can probably just go in to the office once.

• Tasm

No, you need to verify. They will pay, nut it will not merge into the next year payment.