Is 12,000 dollars sufficient for a 2 week trip to Scandinavia for 2 people?

My mother and i are going to Scandinavia in July because we got great airfare booking a year ago, so thats already been paid for. I do know Scandinavia is very expensive compared to the rest of europe and the USA. Ive got a fee guide books on the subject but i was curious if anyone else who's traveled to Scandinavia recently has an idea. We not going super luxurious, plan on staying in double bed hostels, maybe one or two nice meals in each country. 

Will be flying into Denmark, then the plan was to go to Oslo, then Stockholm, Helsinki and maybe Tallinn if we have time the back. 14 days not counting the departure date.

Any advice or experience is appreciated!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

US dollars?

Well, I'm Danish and like the others have said, that's more than enough, even if you stay in hotels and eat in mid-range restaurants every day.

Oslo is the most expensive city of the ones you mention, so my suggestion is that you look up hotel prices and restaurant prices there to get an idea of what you are dealing with. If you know when you are going to be in the different places, then it often pays to book online in advance.

Yes, it's expensive here, but it's not THAT expensive. :)

Enjoy your stay! Remember you need a pin code for your credit cards, bring clothes you can layer, a wind and waterproof jacket, and practical, comfy shoes for walking (we have a lot of cobblestones in the old cities).

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

are you crazy? you mean a 2 YEAR trip to Scandinavia? if you just live like a Homeless person camping, hosteling etc. you can stay there for 3 years even with that much money!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Orla C
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Have you looked into the cost of accommodation? Try www.hostelworld.com.

• Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

are you crazy? you mean a 2 YEAR trip to Scandinavia? if you just live like a Homeless person camping, hosteling etc. you can stay there for 3 years even with that much money!

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

No. That will buy you three rounds of awful drinks in a bar in Stockholm.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I have been in Copenhagen and Tallinn recently. They are not necessarily any more expensive than being in the US. You can get decent meals for about the same price you'd pay in a mid-range restaurant in the US. With $12,000, you don't need to stay in hostels. You can get a nice hotel room in most of those places for $100-200 a night. That would be a maximum of $2400 dollars for 2 weeks. There are a number of nice restaurants in the center of the old town in Tallinn- some serve local specialities. I think I ate there for under $20.

• zap4 weeks agoReport

Thank you for the information, i appreciate it.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, US$12000 is plenty for two people for two weeks in Scandinavia for normal expenses. 

• zap4 weeks agoReport

Thank you for the infor, its appreciated

• 4 weeks ago

Honestly it's far too much money.  People have traveled the entirety of Europe for significantly less.

• zap4 weeks agoReport

Oh well thats good to know! Id rather not spend that much if i didnt have too. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.