Tonsils removed?

Should I get my tonsils removed? Is that even a thing I can ask? I get tiny tonsil stones occasionally,  but I won't be under my medical insurance for much longer. I have a year or two at best left. Should I just leave them alone, or try to get rid of them before they actually cause trouble when I have no insurance? Would a doctor agree to this?

• Roddy

It is definitely possible to have your tonsils removed - I had mine out as a boy of about 10.

You need to see an ENT specialist for an opinion as to whether it would help you to have this done.

Tonsil surgery is a lot more serious for adults than children. You don't have unnecessary surgery unless it's really necessary. I missed 20% of kindergarten and first grade because I was constantly sick with tonsilitis and related ear infections. Having my tonsils removed really improved my health. But unless you are missing a lot of work or school with tonsilitis, it's not worth having the surgery.

Having tonsils removed is serious surgery. They are not removed due to harmless tonsil stones but only for frequent (at least 3x a year) debilitating tonsilitis.

You can buy insurance under the ACA, you know. It's available to everyone- until Trump kills it.