promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 2 months ago

ideas for research involving participant observation?

any ideas for research topics that i can pursue that involve participant observation and interviews? i need topics that are feasible in a college setting. i was thinking watching people at a sports event or something like that. help pls

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Expat
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

You have the concept rather confused. You’re not to watch strangers and report on their behavior; without their permission it’s rather unethical. Like the other person suggested, you should ask your professor to clarify. If it’s interview based you could choose topics like cell phone use, as in how much time are university students spending on their phones. You could come up with a series of interview questions pertaining to time, types of use, apps, dependency on the phone, etc. Other topics could be related to how they chose their majors, plans for the future, how they use their free time, part time jobs, etc. 

Source(s): 20+ years university professor
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

That is not what "participant observation" means. You really need to ask your professor for help on this. If you are in the US, most universities require you to clear any research involving people with the Institutional Review Board that makes sure all research is ethical. Your professor can tell you how to do that at your school. You might be able to arrange observation of class or of a campus organization's meetings. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.