I have a large mass on my kidney and just had a ct scan. Will that detect cancer and if so what would be the next procedure?

I have a large mass on my kidney and just had a ct scan. Will that detect cancer and if so what would be the next procedure?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

A CT scan can discover a mass on your kidney; but the scan can't determine if the mass is cancerous, or if it's not. If the CT scan discovers a mass, the next step will usually be for the doctor to biopsy the mass; and determine if it's cancerous or WHAT it is.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It can detect in certain situations (if the scan shows if has spread to lymph nodes). I’m not familiar with procedures but surgery sometimes isn’t necessary depending on cancer treatments and what stage it could be. 

• LAN
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That's strange, everyone else in the world that goes in for tests gets a follow up meeting with their doctor to go over the results.   Not to mention they are all told before hand exactly what will happen in advance spelling out what the process is.   A scan doesn't determine if a mass is cancerous on it's own.   They have to do a biopsy to tell that.  Just wait until the doctor goes over it with you and stop creating drama for the sake of drama.

• 1 month ago

Perhaps a urine test fir cytology could look for cancer cells. I hope it is a simple cyst and NOT cancer!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

i would talk to your doctor about it, and in the meantime if you ask this on healthtap.com a real doctor will email you back

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.