Pricilla asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Is it. good idea to volunteer at an animal shelter? What is it like?

Is it a...sorry typo.

• Ocimom
    Favorite Answer

That depends on how strong mentally you can handle working there - day after day seeing many dogs and cats having to be put down due to lack of homes.  But the joys of seeing those adopted may outweigh the bad thing.  You can try it for awhile and see how things go.

Yes. I couldn't afford me Basset Hound puppy, so by working at a shelter I can visit him often. 

That would depend on the individual bearing in mind you'll probabaly be given all the messy jobs!!  It won't be all about walking and cuddling.  And you may well see some very heart-breaking situations.

If you want some experience of working with animals, go for it.   But it wouldn't be for me although over the years, I've had enough of my own to care for!

ps   If you have your own dogs or cats, you must remember to change your clothes, shoes and wash up when you first come home to avoid spreading infection to your own pets.

• Lv 6

Good advice

TBH, I couldn't do it.  It's not the work that would bother me. It's the heartbreak of seeing unwanted and abandoned pets brought in that would break me. I have seen the very worst of humanity and how cruel people could treat each other. To see that on a daily basis happen to animals and to not be able to do something would break my heart. While in my current job I come across abuse and abandonment once in awhile. I have the FULL RESOURCES of the State of Florida to assist, arrest, summons, remove or get the animal treated. Animal shelters are limited on their budgets. My skin is thick and my Kung Fu is strong. But my heart is soft when it comes to animals. Call me what you want and thumb me down. 

• Lv 6

Plus I really have no time to volunteer.  We already do at the children's hospital. 

it is if thats what you want to do, ive thought of doing that

For me? It's great? For you? Maybe not if you have to ask if it's a "good idea".

Volunteering IS A LOT OF WORK. You're not just there to play with the animals. You feed them, you clean up their piss, poop and vomit. You do LOTS and LOTS of loads of laundry. If you're volunteering with the dogs you also may be walking the dogs. If volunteers handle adoptions then you also interact with the public and see if they are the right fit for the animal they want.

But it's also very REWARDING if you're there for the RIGHT reasons - to help the animals and to especially help them finding new ones. You would very young if you have to ask if it's a "good idea". Grow up a bit and THEN volunteer. No shelter needs someone volunteering who might quit after just a shift or two once they wasted their time training you.

Source(s): Over 25 years of volunteering with numerous shelters.
    • Veschengro

hence they are in a lowland field awaiting their time. Then i will move them 2 fields further so that they can lamb in the warm cover of my shearing sheds.

• Anton

I tried, couldn't.  Knowing that most of the animals will be killed was too depressing.

• ZotsRule

Then don't volunteer at a kill shelter.  There's LOTS of no-kill shelters all over.  

• Jojo

If you love animals and don`t mind cleaning out their living quarters and being a general dogs body until you gain more experience, and are trusted with the more interesting jobs with the animals, then why not? I know nothing about you at all, so can only answer with a general view on it. 

sure i did and now homecheck for our local herder rescue

Source(s): just an ole Shepherd his dogs and stock
    • ZotsRule

How've you been with the cold up there?  I have friends in Calgary and Edmonton and they say it's been brutal!!  We actually got 9" of snow Sunday before last at my place North of Seattle then another 2" two days later.  Stayed around for nearly a week till it rained pretty heavy.

Its a good idea to volunteer anywhere.  Go volunteer and you'll find out what its like.