promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Home interest deduction?

On my 1098 is showing my name and co owner name but it is showing my co owner social security number. is that gone be problem with the irs? can i report it in schedule A 8A? 

thank you

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If you and the co-owner are responsible for paying the loan and you pay it, you can deduct it. If IRS questions it you have the documentation.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

It is not going to be a problem not having your SSN on the form. You are still entitled to deduct your share of the interest. Make sure you and your co-owner are in agreement about what share you are going to deduct. If he/she deducts 100% and you deduct 50%, it will be a problem. This all assumes that the co-owner is not your spouse who you are filing jointly with.

Are you sure you will be filing a Schedule A? The standard deduction is high enough, most people no longer need to itemize. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Pepper, PhD
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

NA, true but it's still a good idea to communicate with the other owner to make sure you don't claim more than 100% between the two of you. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Follow the schedule A instructions page 9 under "more than one owner" (unless your co-owner is a spouse and you file jointly).  You can only deduct your share.

Since it isn't your SSN, you will use line 8B.

• 2 months ago

You can claim it, if you paid the mortgage. 

• ...Show all comments
    • KILLER2 months agoReport

It's not a problem. The form 1098 isn't attached with tax return nor is it checked by IRS usually. You can claim your deduction even without a 1098 on sch A. The form 1098 is for your record and evidence. So you can claim the deduction and save the 1098 in case there is ever a question.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.