Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Income tax returns ?

I started my new job at the end of August 2019 , recurved my first pay check mid September so I’ve been working for about 5 months. Will I still receive an income tax return even though I only worked 5 months this year from my new job? 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It does not matter how many months you worked. If you made more than $600 or if they withheld any taxes, they have to send you a W-2. You are only required to file a tax return if you made more than $12,200 (total taxable income) but if they withheld taxes, you have to file to get a tax refund.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Yes, you will receive a W-2 from your employer.

• 1 month ago

You will have to file an income tax return.

• 1 month ago

You might. It's not based on the amount of time you worked. It's based on the amount of money you made and the amount that was withheld from your paychecks. A lot of the time, a person who worked only a few months actually gets more from their tax return than someone who worked all year.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You do not receive an income tax return, you FILE one.

If you are entitled to a REFUND of tax withheld from your pay, you have to file a RETURN to claim it. There is no way for anyone here to know, with the little information you provided, if you will have a refund coming or not.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you need to ask a tax place or your job about it

• Shay
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You don't receive a tax return.  You file a tax return.

Your employer will send you a W-2 form to show your income from last year.

You use that W-2 and any other tax related forms you might have to fill out a tax return.  Then you file the tax return with the IRS.  

If you overpaid your tax liability, you will get a refund.  If you underpaid your tax liability,  you will owe more money and would need to send a check to the IRS.  Filling out the tax return is how you know if you will get a refund or owe more money.  

EDIT - it does not matter how much money you made at the job - the employer is required to send you a W-2 form even if you only worked a few hours.  The employer does not know how many jobs  you have worked or what your total income for the year will be.  You are required to report ALL income from ALL jobs, so employers are required to send you the W-2 even if the amount is very low.

Also - even if you made less than the amount required for filing a tax return, you should still file the tax return because if there are any amounts in box 2 of the W-2 form, that amount might be refunded to you since you didn't make enough money to require filing.  

• Amy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A tax RETURN is the paperwork which you need to file with the IRS after you receive the relevant information from your employer. You can do this at irs.gov - they won't send anything to you to start the process.

You may be confusing this word with a tax REFUND, which is the money you will get back if you have been overpaying your tax. 

It is fairly likely that you will get a refund, because the tax structure is progressive. The IRS only sees your total income for the year, so you look like someone who worked the full year at a much lower salary. Therefore you owe less tax than you've been paying based on your actual salary.

• Ann
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

An income tax return isn't something you receive, it is something you have to file,  You should receive a W-2 from this employer which you use to file your tax return, it will contain your total earnings, federal taxable wages, and federal tax with held if you live in a state that also assesses a state tax, you will also have to use this form to file your state tax return

• 1 month ago

Your employer has to provide you with a form that lists your income and deductions for the year.

If you didn't file a return in 2018, they may not send you your 2019 IRS return forms, so you will have to get or request them on your own.

• ...Show all comments
    • John1 month agoReport

If you worked for them for an hour they are required to send you a W2 form.  You can't file a tax return without it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.