Anyone know why my 3 y/o laptop is slower than my 10+ y/o desktop?

My Dell ispiron 17 (i7 cpu, 1tb storage) is very slow in boot-up compared to my 10+ year old custom built desktop (don't know what intel processor, <100 gb storage). Anyone know why?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

For the most part, speed is relative to whether the capacity of your CPU, RAM, and Internet Connection can fully handle the requirements of the programs/applications that are open. A deficit in any one of those factors can slow down whatever device you're using. It sounds like your laptop is always slow, so that would mean that at least one of the programs always, or almost always, in use (like the browser and av) is causing it. A recent malware infection could also be causing it, especially if this is a recent problem and not something that you've noticed for a while.

I assume both your laptop and desktop have the same Internet connection, so it is likely a deficit in your CPU and/or RAM. To check which one it is, open your laptop's Task Manager. It will show how much of your CPU and RAM capacity is currently being used. It may show that just one of those things is being maxed out or that both of them are, so you'll know what the weak areas are. It will also show how much RAM is currently being used by each of the programs that are running. The amount of usage usually varies considerably and so you can easily tell which programs are using a lot of RAM relative to others. This is important since, if the CPU is being maxed out, it's likely that this is also being caused by whatever program is consuming a lot of RAM resources as well. (Task Manager won't give the CPU consumption of each program.) When you discover which program (or programs) that is, you can either opt for a different browser, different av,  or whatever the program may be -- or, if its a program that you don't recognize you are using, that could be an indication of a malware infection. You can also consider upgrading the RAM or even putting a better CPU in the laptop (but this second option can sometimes open up a host of incompatibilities). But regardless, the Task Manager should give you an idea of what issues are going on.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Laptops generally use a slower 5400rpm hard drive. Also, if you were to compare the speed of a 2.5" 7200rpm drive vs a 3.5" desktop drive, the desktop drive's speeds are going to pull ahead.

Laptops generally use low powered processors that don't clock as high as a desktop CPU and laptop processors typically don't have as many cores either. The problem with laptops is the hardware is confined which makes it more difficult to cool. Desktops can afford to use larger coolers and fans.

I'm writing this on a laptop but I upgraded the Hard Drive to a SSD, which has done a lot to speed this laptop up.

• 4 weeks ago

Remove all the Dell related softwares from Control Panel (you can always get it back by recovery option). Use CCleaner for cleaning temp files. Keep your Windows Drive half empty. Add some RAM from HDD.

• 4 weeks ago

There are a lot of different factors that come into play in the speed of a computer. It could be bloatware, could be applications that are running in the background, could be the version of windows you are running.

I think the most likely scenario is that there is bloatware or programs that are hogging your memory. Check Task Manager (expand details) and see what programs are taking up your memory. If it's an application that you don't want or that you didn't install, completely uninstall it. Continue until the programs that are taking up a lot of memory are only ones that you can recognize. 

Hopefully this will work. 🙂

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • TomB
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Not really and given the lack of information in your question about the specific hardware of both machines, OS's, settings, background programs, bloatware, temp files and how you are connecting to the internet, neither will anyone else.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Bloated software? Too many programs running in the background? It has malware for an OS!

• 4 weeks ago

You tell little of each machine--

Operating system of each

RAM amount in each

Startup programs or utilities of each on power up

Amount of empty space in each boot drive

With no clues on these things, no guessing in the blind could help you.

• 4 weeks ago

Malware infection slows computer significantly.Install Malwarebytes.Ilike this software,have it on my 2 desktops.Works great. Scan computer for malware.

• 4 weeks ago

Installing an SSD should do the trick

• VP
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Or an NVMe drive, if one fits!

• 4 weeks ago

You didn't say what type of storage you had or how much RAM you have in each. You're likely using a 1TB hard drive in your laptop, and they tend to be only 5400 RPM, vs a 7200 RPM drive in most desktops. And if you had an SSD in the desktop, that would be even faster.

The OEM bloatware that most manufacturers add in, plus an antivirus like McAfee or Norton, could also contribute to longer loading times.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.