Why do People not believe in God?

A huge percentage of people are under the impression that God does not exist. So, I am asking this question to see why people don't believe that the Christian God, or any god at all, exist other than on the pages of Scripture.

Feel free to express your thoughts as I want to converse with you and will comment on your answers. All I ask is that you be fair to whoever you talk to.

P.S. I think I know what most of the answers will basically say.

I was informed that I generalized the question a little too broadly.

Why do "some" people not believe in God.

Favorite Answer

11 "For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but [by] the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (I Corinthians 2:11-14).

I do not believe in the god of the churches today. I do believe there is something more than we mortals are, but it is not what any church I've ever been to teaches.

I have been a member of a church whose sole focus was "converting non-believers" because the more members, the more money. Of course they don't say that, but watching their actions - bullying people not to leave the church, the pastor having an expensive house and cars, only doing lip service to the plights of the poor and suffering (pray for them! but we don't want them to smell up our church!)...

I have seen little children suffer from diseases such as DIPG and Neurofibromatosis. God has NEVER HEALED A SINGLE ONE!! Do some research on these. DIPG is a cancer that affects little children. Their minds stay completely clear and aware as their bodies slowly fail, and they finally suffocate to death. NF causes horrible disfigurement and they are bullied and humiliated for what they look like. These tumors can be extremely painful, but no pain medication helps. If the tumors are removed, they grow back even worse.

I have seen rich people who espouse to be christian who are evil, yet everything they pray for they get. Prosperity doctrine. Yet I have seen people who take Matthew 23:31-46 and live that life, yet are told that they aren't Christian because they believe in social justice.

I have seen people who don't call themselves christian, who live lives as Jesus taught, and they are told they will go to hell because they are not members of their church.

For decades, I have seen christians call others anti-christ and claim the world is coming to an end because of a certain situation... but it never happens. They fear monger for their own profit.

I once was witness to the wife of a pro-life pastor going into a clinic for an abortion.

So I live my life as Jesus taught because I believe that is the right thing to do. I live a life of empathy and compassion and service. I treat my employees with a servant leadership style. I don't make a lot of money, but I have many, many very good friends. I am not "good" just to get into heaven.

If I died today, I know that the world is a better place because I was in it. That in itself makes me very happy. No matter what is on the other side.

• Zany

As US Christian religion would have it, you have to rise above your lot in life if born poor, and be humble and charitable if born rich. That dichotomy to begin with and the hardship on the first lot seems to dismiss a fair Christian God. The gross disparity in the human condition across nations seems to discount a God at all. And there are several Gods for several beliefs that like to make war with each other. No God, just stupid humans. 

• 4 months agoReport

Yeah!  That's why you are powerless although Jesus said you would "receive POWER after that" (Acts 1:8) HE baptizes you (Jn 1:33) with "the way of God more perfectly" (Acts 18:26) for baptism rather than a water (Acts 18:25); Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 1:5).

Many people do believe in a Creator.

They just don't believe in the fake god that is described in the Bible.

• Alex4 months agoReport

How do you know that God is fake?

• ?

we rely on facts............plain and simple

Honestly, because they simply just don't know any better.  Those that believe were lied to.  And in order to believe religion, you not only have to lie to yourself, but you have to lie to everyone else as well.  The lie is kept alive through the retelling.  Facts, proof and evidence is what proves things are true.  Not wishful thinking, magic or an appeal to faith.  None of those will ever get you to the truth.  That's just a fact.  It is dishonest to assert as fact that which is not evidently true.  Not only is religion not evidently true, it is also evidently not true as well.  By definition magic, the supernatural and deities cannot exist.  Religion is nothing more than silly superstitious nonsense left over from a period of time when we had no idea how the natural world actually worked.

• 4 months agoReport

20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!" (Isaiah 5:20-21)!

It affects how people feel about God and how they feel about other people. Another popular teaching is that God is not interested in us, so we do not need to be interested in him. Why do millions of people listen to these teachings that prevent them from having a relationship with God? Both teachings make people believe that they can do anything they want because there is no one to answer to. This is a message that many want to hear and believe.

I try to base all my beliefs on empirical evidence rather than on whatever makes me feel comfortable.

• Alex4 months agoReport

There is the type of answer I was expecting.

The magic god fairy fantasy is equal to the Easter Bunny fantasy, equally ridiculous and equally impossible. There is no magic in the universe.

• Alex4 months agoReport

So, 13.7 billion years ago, the speck didn't "magically" exploded? Because if you look a probability, the only reason that would happen is magic.

• Because of all the lies that opposers of God spread about him and his people that make God look uncaring or even cruel. Many of those haters are right on here. They ask questions to make God and his people look bad then block those people who would give truthful answers. I could name quite a few but I won't, you can see who they are by the hatred they show.