Drum Brake issues?

So I posted earlier about wobbling from my drum when braking. I found the culprit to be this cylinder/gasket? Not sure what it's called, I'm horrible with the terminology.

I pushed it back in and the wobble went away, but it still leaks some brake fluid and doesn't have as tight a seal as the other side.

Is this something I can repair myself for cheap? Or would it be better to take it to a shop. I usually do my own work, but this is my first time with drums.

What would the price/time range be if I did it myself?

Favorite Answer

What is in the picture is the SLAVE cylinder.  If one is bad, the other is close behind so you do both.  It is a fussy job as you need a cylinder hone and hone the cylinder and a rebuild kit.  When you don't know what you are doing and you are in a rush, it is better to let a shop take care of it.  Both cleaner, faster and done right.  Sometimes they have to toss the wheel cylinder when it is worn too bad.  So, in that case they would buy a complete slave cylinder with all new components.

This, however was NOT causing wheel wobble.

More than likely the bearing was not tightened down correctly.  The bearing holds on the wheel drum.(depending on MAKE AND YEAR OF CAR).  In some other makes perhaps the drum is not sitting on axle flange totally flat...which would give you a wobble.

What ever the price you have to have brakes. There is no choice there.

• Anthony2 months agoReport

I tested it today and yes, I feel it very strong in the hand brake. I checked front rotors and they aren't warped, which is as expected. I noticed if I take of the drum there is a little wobble if I lay it flat. But only by 1 or2 millimeters, I don't know if that's big enough to affect the car

Thats called THE BRAKE CYLINDER.. IT needs to be replaced, IT has one maybe two bolts on the back remove then after removing the brake line going to it and replace the thing.. YOU are not smart enough to do it yourself.. Take it and have it done by a mechanic. 

HAVE Both on the back or front whichever it is on done at the same time.

Average cost of those is less than 20 bucks each.

• zipper

That gasket needs replacing, which would mean a whole new  unit replace ment or a rebuild unit. Then you will need to bleed the brake system to get any and all air out of the system. This fluid leek will cause the rubber to come off again, and the fluid getting on the drum or brake bad will reselt in a lot of problems, so get it done yesterday!

If your brake slave cylinder is having trouble staying in place, it typically is an indication that your brake shoes are worn. With worn brake shoes the arms of the cylinder have to push out so far that they push the seals out of place. You may need new brake shoes!

• Erik

Hmmm, this looks exactly like my car, a 93 Camry.  That is called a wheel cylinder, and you can get one cheap at any auto parts store, or ebay.  Forget about repairing it, just buy a new one.  Look up on youtube how to replace it, it's pretty easy.  I did it myself, however the spring that's directly below it came off, and I wasn't able to reattach it.  So be careful with that.

Replace the brake cylinder. Flush and bleed the brake lines. Replace the fluid-soaked brake shoes.....do both sides.

This is the wheel cylinder and it needs to be replaced. Replace both the left and right side at the same time. Once the brake shoes are contaminated with brake fluid, they also have to be replaced. The drums should be resurfaced at some place like O'Reilly Auto Parts before they are reinstalled. 

Good Luck!

• The Devil

Just clean the drum with brake cleaner spray. If it's not warped save your money -it doesn't need to be lathed.

Go to any MIDAS shop and they will do a FREE INSPECTION.

If you aren't a mechanic stay away from your brake system or people may die.

• Scott

You need a qualified mechanic to diagnose and fix your problem. I used to do brakes for a living and you have no idea how many "do it yourselfer" repairs I've had to "fix" because a clueless person tried to save a few bucks by attempting to do their own brake job. Usually they did more harm than good.

• opinionated

you may also be surprised how many "mechanics" screw it up also.  

• CB

That is a wheel cylinder and given your ability it would be advisable to just replace the wheel cylinder as they aren't that expensive and likely the bleeder valve will snap off - honing and such is doable but takes some knowledge and the chance of failure will low is still higher than replacing with a new/rebuilt product. Do both sides and if the shoes are low replace them and the springs as well and have the drum turned at a shop. New brakes non issues.

• thebax2006

Wheel cylinders are under $20 each. Heat the brake line nut before trying to put a wrench on it or you'll twist the brake line and cause the brake line to leak.