Regarding installing a bathroom assist bar and using a stud finder.?

Greetings...

Im installing a horizontal bathroom assist bar for the folks.

Installing the left bracket of the bar will be easy as it will be on the same beam as a higher up Vertical bar.

So Im trying to find the next beam over ( to the right) for the right bracket of the horizontal bar.

That of course would involve using a stud finder....which i've not done before. So Ive been practicing.

So from the install line of the left bracket the finders MIN light comes on at 10 1/4 in. The top light (MAX) come on at 10 1/2 in and stays on till 11 1/2 in. the M

in light comes on again at 11 7/8 in.

Point is....the distance that the Max light is on is only one inch.

The spacing of the brackets install holes ( 3...1 top, 1 center, 1 side) only 7/8"

The spacing of the finders Min lights is 1 5/8 in.

Question: Is there a beam behind these MIN lights? Because according to the MAX lights...I have only a 1 in beam to install this bracket on.

Please advise.

Thanks much.

depending on where you are... MOST STUDS in the USA are 16 inch center to center IF the wall was built to code.

• Dave

center to center of stud should be 16"

When you mention "beam", do you actually mean to say "stud"? Studs are "typically" 16 inches apart from one another. I don't like stud finders. They are difficult to use and often incorrect. What I use is a neodymium magnet to find the drywall screws that are holding the drywall to the studs. The super powerful magnet has worked a lot better for me so far than my stud finder which is accumulating dust since I discovered the neodymium magnet trick!

• Common Sense
      4 weeks agoReport

A neodymium? THAT is a great idea!! THANKS

• Edwena

Tap on the wall where you think the studs are, according to the stud finder. Stud finders are not precise. It should sound, even feel, more solid. Then drill a hole into the sheet rock where the screw goes, using the smallest bit. Just deep enough to go through the sheetrock. Then stick a wire in the hole. It there is solid wood there, your wire will hit it. If it is space, you can push the wire into space. Now bend the wire so that when you rotate it, the end sweeps around inside and see if it will hit the stud. Sometimes you are off only a fraction of an inch. You should know about where the studs are by thinking how they framed the house. You might see something from the attic.

Jump to 4:50 This is the one I used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOm5uDWRo2I

Youtube thumbnail

I’ll run the stud finder back and forth a few times slowly from both directions to get an idea where the center of the stud is, its probably an 1 1/2” since that would be the norm

• Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Do this!