Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 4 weeks ago

Should we stay or go? (Christian school rant)?

We have our children enrolled in a "Christian" school. The school is terrible. The teachers are all someone's mom, there is a lot of gossip, there is favoritism showed to the teachers' kids. Sometimes emails get answered, sometimes not, and the principal is sort of like a mascot - he just sits in the office like decoration. Needless to say, I am OVER this school. We pay good money for a school that is failing (at the high school level) and scrambling at the lower level. The only reason we stay is because my kids love their friends and I don't want to pull them out mid-year. This WILL be their last year. My spouse doesn't care one way or the other about this. But it keeps me up at night. What should I do? Should I keep them there for the next several months until this school year is over, or should I follow my mommy-gut and take them out? Would love to hear from others out there. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

You can never replace a year of bad schooling. Move them to a better school NOW, otherwise, you will have wasted a very important year in the lives of your kids.

• Thank you for taking the time to respond. I thought your and Shepherd's responses both deserved a "favorite answer", and I appreciate you very much. I've decided to prayerfully stay put until May, while keeping my eyes on things, more so than before. After May, we are outta there. God bless you!

• DP.

..step back and ask yourself a question.....

....is your primary responsibility to train and equip these kids for life, so that they are well balanced, well educated and responsible members of society.... or....... to ensure they enjoy their childhood/school and have some issues in life?I know it's not quite that simple because if they hate school and have no friends then their likely to have studying problems but the simple fact is that your kids will only be within your influence for a short time... and you have to equip them for the rest of their lives.  In every area of life they gain bad habits, bad attitudes or poor results, they will likely suffer for the rest of their lives.I have to also say I wonder about school failing.  If it's so bad why is anyone paying for their kids to go there.   Do you mean failing your kids?  I suspect there is much more to this than you're telling us.   I also wonder if you could not make it clear to the principle that you will be documenting and reporting the schools failings to the governors, if it wouldn't change things.The problem with moving school is that you could easily be moving from the frying pan to the fire.  Another school might be worse.   

...only you know the truth!

• DP.
      4 weeks agoReport

Many parents abdicate their responsibility and then blame the school.   It's good that you're not doing that, and that you're considering the matter prayerfully.... Well done.... but remember no matter what the school you need to take an active part in their education....daily!

If you don't like the school, whatever the reason, then why do you need to ask us on YA what to do? As a parent, I would not need advice from strangers on what to do. 

• I hope and pray someone is being kind and helpful to you, and that perhaps it will soften your tone when speaking to others who solicit advice. I am wishing you a prosperous 2020. God bless you. 

Doesn't sound very Christian to me.  Follow your gut, mommy.  That's what mommy's are supposed to do.  That's why God gave you a mommy gut.  Pull your kid out.  That school is toxic.