how does dmv decide who needs to take knowledge test to renew their license and who doesn t?

i live in California and i had to renew my divers license 3 times now, and every single time i had to retake the knowledge test, this cant be random. I dont have any tickets and no accidents under my name. I know a person who had 5 tickets and 2 accidents and they get their license by mail. What is going on? This is really annoying having to retake both class C and M1 tests every single time.

Favorite Answer

I am 57 and I have never taken another test of any kind. Not in CA.

• Edna

In my state (Texas), the only time you have to re-take any tests is if you allow your license to expire for 2 years. If you do that, you have to re-take the Written Test and the Road Test before they'll renew your license.

That seems odd.

But basic road rules shouldnt be a brain stumper.

I'd speak to a manager next time

• Erik

That's weird, I renew mine every five years, and I never had to take any kind of test.  As another person said, it doesn't really matter if it's random or if they are targeting you for some reason.  Take the test or stop driving.

It is random.  You should have no problem doing the tests, right?  So where is the BEEF?   

REMEMBER; "They don't give a schitt if you do not have a driver's license. They don't care if you are annoyed. THAT IS YOUR PROBLEM.  So, you pass the tests and be on your way. They are GOD when it comes to this.

I renew my DL every 5 years (and I assume 5 years would be in your area too, so that is in 15 years you have had to rewrite the written every 5 years?  Big Hairy deal!  It is where the dart lands on the dart board.

With that kind of luck, maybe you would be lucky playing the lottery.

• Vadim4 weeks agoReport

indeed while some ppl who have sht driving record dont have to take the written test once in 15 years, That's the big hairy deal, your answer is as useful as those written tests.

Okay but did you pass the knowledge test?

• Vadim4 weeks agoReport

of course, fist try every single time, The very very first time i got my drivers license i passed it with 1 mistake.