JaNOPE asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

How much weight can I lose in month?

I'm a female teen who is 5'1 and 135 lbs. I plan to lose weight by dieting and exercising. I plan on using the military diet as well as going keto. I plan on eating less than 1,300 calories and burn off 2,000-2,500 a day. I know it differs from person to person, but about how weight am I expected to lose in a month? And would it possible to reach 120 lbs by the end of March?

Favorite Answer

There are 3,500 calories in a pound, so if you're sticking to your caloric intake and exercise schedule, about 10 pounds a month.

• Logan

You indicate that you will have a 700 to 1200 calorie deficit per day or about  28,500 for the month.  One pound of body fat stores 3500 calories, which implies you will lose 8 pounds.  However, studies have shown that actual weight loss is about half of that, do to the body adapting to the deficit. 

A goal of 15 pounds by the end of march is reasonable. That would mean 1.5 pounds weight loss each week. 

If you burn a total of 2000-2500 calories you should not eat less than 1300. Aim for about 1400-1700 calories depending on how many you burn. 

Don't go keto. Its not necessary and its super strict. Not something I would recommend to a teen. I wouldn't recommend the military diet either. Calories are too low for a teen. 

Keep in mind that you need to lose weight in a sustainable way if you want to keep off the weight you lose. Make changes you can stick with for the rest of your life. If you eat a strict diet to lose weight and then go back to eating how you do now you will gain all the weight back and possibly more.