How to ease anxiety and stress?

I always seem worried about everything. I worry about my mom, my friends, my own life even when it’s just a trip to the grocery store. I always find myself in awkward situations even when others see these moments as nothing awkward at all. I usually mask this with video games which ease my stress and allow me to be whoever I want to be, but when in reality I’m nothing like it. I feel comfortable to speak out online and in games, but in real life I never say a word. When people ask me a question and I don’t hear them I feel rude but at the same time I’m just in too much shock that they’d actually ask me. And by that point we just stare, and I don’t even realize that I’m not even responding when I’m looking straight at them. I play video games to ease the pain of anxiety and stress and worry, but they don’t understand that. They yell at me when I stay on it constantly. I offer them to play with me but that just makes them worse. They think I’m lazy but I do a lot in school that doesn’t really affect me physically but affects me mentally. I also see my friends not answering  to me when I talk to them. They used to like talking to me they thought I was funny. But now it’s to the point where I don’t even laugh anymore. At home with my friends I’m a completely different person, joyful and talkative. It’s just school that causes this. Any advice on what to do when you can’t explain how you feel to your parents, and when you can’t stop being nervous around people at school?

• Lili
    Favorite Answer

It sounds to me as though you need therapy.  A cognitive behavioral therapist could help you develop management techniques for your stress and anxiety. I know it may be hard to tell your parents that you think you need help, but getting that help would make it easier to discuss your issues with your parents and others.  You might try talking to a guidance counselor first, perhaps to get some help with broaching the subject to your parents.

You need to figure out what's going on in school that's creating such problems and how to cope more effectively. Therapy can help with that, too

I would also recommend meditation classes and a regular exercise routine.  Exercise is much better for easing anxiety than sitting in front of a computer and playing video games all day long.

Good luck.

It's most likely general anxiety disorder.

See your doctor and get advice.

I got confused by your description. You said in real life you are quiet and afraid to speak, that's why you play games, but then at the end you say that at home you are talkative and joyful? Are you shy to speak to others only at school, or in general? If you are nervous around strangers or people outside your circle, i am guessing it's because you are scared of humiliating yourself. There is no easy way to relax around strangers, it comes with experience. You just have to try to be yourself around others, even if they don't approve of it. There will be people who like who you really are, and those will be your new friends. Being scared of failure is normal, but again, there is no easy solution. You have to go through the initial stage and fail couple of times until you realize it's not a big deal.

• Savanna1 month agoReport

Also- sorry if I wasn’t clear- I’m talkative when my friends are over. Other than that I just feel like my parents don’t want anything to do with me until they decide I’ve spent too much time on the computer.

plenty of exercise, preferably swimming.