Savannah asked in Beauty & StyleMakeup · 2 months ago

Does it look strange to only wear one shade of eyeshadow?

My sister said it's strange to only wear one shade of eyeshadow on your eyes but I want to know other's opinions on this.

Actually, I never said that anybody was correct or wrong. I just wanted opinions from others.

Favorite Answer

Nope! I do this, I think it’s good to do this especially if you where make up everyday because it makes it more natural rather than having a different eyeshadow every day. Is the eyeshadow a bold color like a hot pink or green or something? If so.. that may be a bit much. But if it is a neutral color like a light blush pink, a light blue or something like this than it should be fine.

• Savannah

No, I usually do not wear bold colors on my eyes and I always wear light colors and neutral colors.

• Lili

I wear 3 different shades in the brown/taupe/beige family. That's pretty standard. 

I was never a fan of bright colors, like blue.  I wore (neutral) earth tones every day, and only changed it up for special occasions.  

I know someone who matches her makeup to her clothes EVERY single day - she applies it flawlessly like a makeup artist.  Sometimes it's a bit much - but that's her style and she pulls it off effortlessly.  (But sometimes I look at the colors and think "that was a mistake."  However, she is such a confident person - she doesn't care what I, or anyone else thinks - and I say "Good for her!")

It's not strange if you don't wear a ton of makeup or are going for a simple, natural look.  However, most girls/women prefer to using eyeshadow as shading and contouring and therefore use different shades to accomplish the looks they are going for.  So your sister is neither right nor wrong.  

Blending with 2-3 colors always looks nice and gives more depth, sure. Straight black or pale colors look best as a single color on the lids, to me. I'm also a child of the 90's when this was in. My makeup expertise hasn't really expanded too much beyond that. I don't get the whole 18 colors on your eyes at one time, countering, wearing 20 kinds of makeup on your face to achieve ONE look.

• Savannah

Thank you for your answer and I agree with you :)