Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 month ago

I think I remember an old saying that went like ,”whenever you make a wish the devil takes away one of your precious childhood memories” ?

What does this saying mean, and what was its origin, I didn’t know wishes were bad?

That doesn't make any sense.  My childhood STUNK !!!

Where did you hear this? I've never heard of it and can't find anything with a search. It might be a warning that making wishes of any kind goes against God's will. As it conveys you have no trust in God, and are thus appealing to other forces. Such as the devil to make your wishes come true. However, according to legends, the devil doesn't work for free, thus the devil would want a trade for helping you fulfil a wish. That's a vague guess on my part. I'd tie it to puritanical or evangelical strains of Christianity with their view of the devil as a nearly all-powerful enemy and behind most if not all of the world's everything, including temptations like making wishes. 

• Mike

That's just dumb..............