Kostany asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Exporting a Victorian era inkwell?

What will it take to export a Victorian era inkwell I recovered at a church there is a bit missing. Would I  be allowed to take it through Hong Kong and Australia through to New Zealand from the United Kingdom, Thanks. 

• Marli
    Favorite Answer

Your question is about import and export of an antique object. It is not related to history.

I think you need someone like an antiques dealer to advise you about the laws and customs forms and payments.

(You didn't snatch it off the parson's desk, did you? "Recovering" an artifact from a church, a museum, an historic site or a shop / private home without paying for it sounds like srealing.)

I am not sure of the import requirements, but you will have to be certain there is no biological material on it before you can take it into either Australia or New Zealand (so no ink or ink stains).

As far as I know, antiques are exempt from duty, but check laws for the countries.