regarding taking social security benefits?

I am 62 years 7 months old. It is estimated that my ssi benefit if I take now is about $1720 per month. I have several questions to help me decide whether it makes sense now financially to do this or wait until FRA. 

1. I have a 6 year old daughter. I was under the impression that she could only get ssi if I passed away but now I think that is not correct. Can she get ssi now? If so, it says up to 50% of my benefit. How can I tell what her benefit will be. What is that based on.

2. My spouse is 38 and works full time. Can she collect ssi now and if so, does she get penalized if she goes over the $18,000 yearly threshold? 

3.If I take ssi now I understand about the $18,000 threshold and I lose $1 for every $2 made over that. Does my wife's income affect the threshold. For example if I got ssi and she didn't would only my excess of $18,000 affect the benefit or do we add both our incomes together. Remember in this scenario only I am taking the ssi benefit. 

4. Does my making more than my threshold allows affect my daughter monthly benefit in any way or only the amount I get. 

5. If I die, and my daughter is still a minor does her ssi amount go up? 

Thank you all.

• Eva
    Favorite Answer

Your spouse cannot collect SS now. She would have to be at least 62. Your wife's income does not affect your threshold. That said, her income will affect how much of your social security is included as taxable income on your tax return. Your child would be eligible for benefits once you start collecting, but I'm not sure how collecting early would affect that. Your best bet is to make an appointment with your local social security office as your situation is a bit unusual.

• scott1 month agoReport

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated

She won't qualify for ssi until she is 62, actually, the age is higher now. It is something like age 6 70 now. If you mean orphan's benefits, inquire into those. If they still pay them, they have nothing whatsoever to do with ssi.

• scott1 month agoReport

Thanks....I didnt phrase the question correctly..I meant social security benefits not ssi..I am 62 and 7 months and need to know if my 6 year old qualifies to get benefits if i take mine now

• John

I took early SSR at 62 and my direct deposit was about the same as yours. When I turned 65 Medicare takes a big bite out of my SSR and I never go to the doctor, I don't like doctors. My youngest daughter is 36 and works three jobs. I don't dare tell you what to do.

You are confused SSI is a federal welfare program which pays about $800.00 a month.

• scott1 month agoReport

yes I realized I was I wasn't clear which is why I reposted...thanks