Sandra S. asked in SportsHorse Racing · 2 months ago

Horse Racing: Do you remember prominent race horse Empire Maker?

Prominent Stallion Empire Maker Dies at 20. The son of Unbridled had battled a rare disease that compromised his immune system.

R.I.P. Empire Maker

Favorite Answer

Yes! I remember Empire Maker very well. It seems it was only yesterday that he spoiled Funnycide`s bid for the Triple Crown.

Empire Maker was retired to stand at stud beginning in 2004 at his owner's Juddmonte Farms in Lexington, Kentucky. His American-bred offspring include Bodemeister and Royal Delta. Through Pioneerof the Nile, he is the grand-sire of American Pharoah, 2015 U.S. Triple Crown winner. Through Bodemeister he is the grandsire of 2017 Kentucky Derby winner Always Dreaming.In November 2010 Empire Maker was sold to the Japan Bloodhorse Breeders' Association and stood at the Shizunai Stallion Station. In September 2015, it was announced that Empire Maker would be returning to the U.S. to stand at Gainesway Farm starting in 2016. Gainesway announced in October that Empire Maker's 2016 stud fee would be $100,000. In 2019 it was $85,000.Notable progenyEmpire Maker has sired 12 individual Grade 1 winners.

RIP Empire Maker as you cross The Rainbow Bridge to join Barbaro and Shared Belief

• Starlight 1

Congrats, Blue Jay ! And on a more personal note, I too remember Empire Maker, and am saddened to learn of his passing. May he rest in peace, running free now on the fields of heaven.

• JSC

Yes! I remember Empire Maker's 2003 career well, and winning the Belmont Stakes. To name a couple, he's the sire of a more recent Eight Rings, and the grand-sire of our 2015 Triple Crown WINNER American Pharoah. Let us always remember to celebrate Empire Maker's good years, and that of his offspring. May we, also, continue to contribute time and money in order to aid in learning to find cures for these sad rare diseases. RIP Empire Maker.

• Sandra S.

Now, that's what I'm about JSC, a nice caring answer for one of our Greats! Thank you!

• Petter

No, never heard, but then again, I was never much of a horse racing fan...

• Sandra S.

Thank you. Have a great day!

• Fuhr

Eight Bells = glue.

• JSC

I agree with SAM. My mobile phone changes spelling to what 'it' thinks it should be on certain words, it get frustrating at times. You can always tell a non horse racing fan, lol. Eight Belles, tragedy was sad. She finished second behind favorite Big Brown in the 2008 Kentucky Derby. R.I.P to both.