Should I quit my job constantly sick ?

I just started teaching kindergarten in August. I’ve always been relatively healthy with the everyday cold here and there. 

In June 2019 - August 2019 I took a job as a summer camp counselor. I kept getting sick and decided to track how often I was getting sick. I was sick a total of 16 days. I attributed it to an unclean place. 

In August 2019 I started teaching. August and September went very smoothly no sickness. From October - December I was sick a total of 22 days!! I actually used all of my sick days and had to take time off unpaid. 

Now it’s January. As soon as I was back In the classroom I caught what I thought was just a cold. On Friday it got so bad my face was turning blue. I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital where I’m told I have a very bad case of pneumonia, the flu AND bronchitis. 

I’m now going to likely be out of work unpaid this whole week at a minimum. . 

I’ve had so many blood tests, CT Scans, MRI, heart tests you name it. All coming back normal. At this point though with being out so much I feel like I’m doing a disservice to my aide in the classroom and my students. I can’t take this!! It’s COSTING ME a lot of money being out so much since I have no more PTO for the year and everything is unpaid. 

My doctor told me the only way I can stop getting sick is to stop working with children. Should I just quit and find a new profession? I’m feeling really defeated right now. I’m honestly shocked I still have a job. 

Favorite Answer

During my first year of  teaching  little children I think I  had  maybe  a  total of  three bug free days.  I would get back to back colds which is supposed to be impossible; one would be clearing up as the  next arrived.  It will get better because you develop immunity.  Your doctor is right and he is wrong.  If  you  want  to  teach you  will have to put  up with this for one  more year but  then  you will  have many disease free years.

• Scott

Little kids are petri dishes with legs. If you don't have a hearty immune system, teaching little kids probably isn't where you ought to be.

Stick with it.  You will eventually develop an immune system of steel. 

In the meantime, wash your hands frequently and DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE.   People who touch their faces get sick.   That includes snacking while you are working.   Do not touch anything that goes in your mouth or on your face.

Make sure you know how to properly wash your hands.    Stand in any public restroom for ten minutes and you will see that at least half the people in there don't do a very good job of washing their hands.