Kevin asked in TravelCruise Travel · 4 weeks ago

Is the I-551 stamp on a passport acceptable for carnival cruise?

My girlfriend lost her green card and her passport expired! 🙄

We started the new green card process, which takes longer time then we have until the cruise. So we're getting her passport renewed and getting the I-551 stamp. We are going to the Eastern Caribbean, all U.S. territory. The lady from Carnival said DHS does all the checks and she didnt know what they accepted. A lady from DHS said it is acceptable but she didn't sound too confident. I'd feel more comfortable if I heard form someone or someone who has known someone it has worked for.

I would appreciate answers only from those who know what the I-551 stamp is and understands the meaning and legal use of it. 

The I - 551 stamp is legal proof of a perminent resident of the United States. It basically says that the person has the green card in process but does not physically have it yet.

My question is; has anyone use a passport with this I-551 stamp and a legal state ID to get aboard a cruise ship?

And yes, the passport will be up to date. 

• Mamie
    Favorite Answer

Call DHS again and talk to someone else.

• Kevin4 weeks agoReport

Thank you! I will do that. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this. 

• Bill

She needs her passport and green card. 

• Kelly

Nothing on the passport is acceptable if the passport itself is expired.

What's stopping her from getting a new passport or a reissued green card?  She will need to start with the green card because the passport is dependent on that.  

She may have a harder time getting back into the country.

• Bill
      4 weeks agoReport

The passport will be from her native country and is independent of her green card. 

• Mrsjvb

that's up to the individual at the  cruise terminal whether it will be accepted( keeping in mind that while she may be allowed to get on the cruise, she may not necessarily be allowed back into  the country  afterward with expired or incorrect documentation)  

• Kevin4 weeks agoReport

.........