Lapis asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Why does my dog go nuts when hes home alone?

Every time my parents and i leave the family dog home alone, he will go absolutely insane. The last time he was left home alone, he ripped a hole in my mattress about 2 feet wide, 2 feet long and deep enough to show the springs. He also pissed all over my parents bed. So we took to closing the doors and putting a dog bed in the kichen and baby gateing it so he can't get to the couch, but then he just retaliated by knocking over the trash can and spreading trash everywhere. 

What caused this? And do y'all know any tips to keep him from doing this? He is a rescue dog we got in his older age so training him has been slow going. 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Use a shock collar. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • Separation anxiety perhaps.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Separation anxiety or the dog is not trained.  Crate the dog when no one is home and then you won't have a problem.

• 4 weeks ago

You didn't train him, or he suffers separation anxiety.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Lack of the correct basic training and upbringing Is the root of the problem you face

Attachment image
  • 4 weeks ago

He is badly stressed by the responsibility of having to protect the property alone.

• 4 weeks ago

This is because, like most dogs I'd suggest, he is very unhappy at finding himself alone.   Dogs are social animals and unlike cats, do not enjoy living a solitary life.

And then there's 'because he can' (destroy the place).   I'm afraid you are probably paying for what happened in his previous home and really the only way to stop the damage if you can't be there with him (or perhaps take him with you?) is to confine him (preferably in a crate but it may be unkind to do this if he's not been crated before, if he's elderly now) in a room that has been 'dog proofed'.   EG - NO TRASH available.  That could be dangerous to him quite apart from the mess to come home to.

Do you give him a good walk before you need to all be out - and do you leave a radio or TV playing, low sound, so he's not quite so likely to feel alone.

If you can't deal with this behaviour, it may be marginally kinder to return him so he can be found a home where his owners are there perhaps more than you are.  I hope that doesn't happen as once a dog starts going from home to home, they only get more and more upset and perhaps end up being put down.

• patty
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

this may work for this problem, a vet on tv told u about it. fifteen minutes before you leave the house everyone ignore the dog. Five minutes before you leave give him one of those kong toys. You put food in these and he will spend hours trying to get the food out. Keep up with this and when you do leave he won't think it is such a bad thing. Also basic training might help with giving his more discipline and better overall behaviour .

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

How OLD is this dog, what breed? And how long have you owned him?  Do you know any of his past history?  You done right by confining him to the kitchen when he is left alone, but you also need to move anything he can destroy, out of his reach. 

I don`t know how big or small this dog is and putting him in a sturdy crate when he is left, may be a better move.

Not much info to go on, but if you have not owned him very long, it would be best to accustom him to being left alone, very gradually. Starting with 5-10 minutes and working up over a few months to a a few hours. The dog needs to feel secure and relaxed in his environment and trust implicitly that you WILL return to him when he is left alone. What is he like at night? Does he sleep in the kitchen on his own? If so. is he ok with that?  Also Do make sure this dog has plenty of walks and exercise, so he feels too tired to cause havoc and wants to sleep more. You don`t say WHAT training you have been doing with the dog, only that it`s been slow going!  So as I said, its hard to give a more positive answer without a lot more information. 

The info on this site may be of some help to you:https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/home-alone...

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Separation anxiety along with boredom and his fear of having to "look after" the whole house alone which is too much for him to accept .... dogs relieve their anxiety by chewing, so it is trying to do that...once you come home and because of your negative reaction towards the dog from what you find you are guaranteeing that he will do exactly the same next time. You are doing the right thing by decreasing his space, you need to remove all and anything he can chew/damage, empty/remove the trash, give him things he can chew like rw carrot/knuckle bone and on returning home just open the door say/do nothing just let him outside to toilet, close the door clear up and once done greet him/fuss him...so you are ignoring any bad behaviour/damage otherwise his cue to damage/toilet is you coming home, so as soon as he hears the click of the door on you leaving/arriving he will toilet as he will assosicate youarriving home he will be told off when all he wants is to greet you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.