PT asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 4 weeks ago

question about my girlfriends passport?

my girlfriend said she is born in 1990 but her passport says 1989. She has a china passport and she told me that all people in china's passport are set a year behind. Her meaning is if you're born in 2020 your passport will say 2019. Is she lying to me?

• Bort

It depends on her birth date. The Chineese calendar is different than what most people in the world use to calculate dates. 

We receive our passports and other ID documents in our own country so our birth year is listed as it is in our country. She is likely telling the truth. Chinese and some other Asian as well as some other non-Asian cultures use the Lunar calendar. The calendars most people use to calculate dates is the Gregorian calendar. The explanation of the Lunar and Gregorian and Julian calendar is extremely long because there's a lot to it. Several subjects need to be covered to fully explain it all correctly. Please look it up if you're curious about it. I left that info out to keep my answer shorter. 

She is likely telling the truth because of how China uses a different calendar than we do. 

• Foofa

You're talking about a country that presented 13 year-olds as 16 and 17 year-olds so they could compete in the Olympics. So it's probably plausible.

Of course she is! In fact, her "story" is so egregious it beggars belief. It's a whopper of a lie & even bigger excuse for lying.

So what other deceptions are going on here? You cannot trust this one. At all. Time to dump her. She's deceiving you, grossly deceiving you - and who-all else?

I can find nothing online that verifies that is actually true but I think it is possible that she may be avoiding telling you the truth about her actual age. If it were me, I wouldn't make a big issue of it. In fact, when I met my wife she told me that she was 35 when I found out much later that she was actually 41.  Her age was a big issue with her obviously, but it wasn't for me.

I can't give a definite answer because I don't know. The only thing I can summize is that if she was born before Jan 27th 1990 they'll class it as 1989 because it was before Chinese New Year.