Jonathan asked in TravelCruise Travel · 4 weeks ago

Carnival Cruise to Cozumel Drinking?

Im 18 and i was wondering if its possible to have my parents sign a waiver or am i able to drink in international waters? im just wondering trying to enjoy and have freedom. I know i can get off in cozumel and drink since age is 18 in mexico but dont know about the ship

My experience when my kids were in their late teens was as long as you aren't sharing a drink package, and don't act like an idiot, your mom or dad can order you a beer and no one cares.  It isn't likely to work in the dining room, but things are looser in some bars and on the pool deck. This occurred on Celebrity, RCL, and Carnival.  Of course, if you get stupid or some busybody tells the captain, chances are they would give you and your parents a stern talking-to, but not much else.  If you got up to stupid drunk teenager tricks, that's a different story, you could all get kicked off. If your dad gets a bucket of beers, no one cares. There are no cops on the ship, and they aren't on the look out for underaged drinkers. 

As for drinking in ports, my kid drank 2 Jaeger bombs in St. Kitts when I was on an excursion.  If you have money and a pulse, most places will serve you, but I agree with the other response that said to drink only bottled beer. Alcohol can get sketchy down there.  And for heaven's sake, don't get sh@#faced in a foreign country. 

This may not be a popular answer, but it's a reality based one 

• Legal age to drink on land in Mexico is 18. If you do drink while visiting port off Mexico, watch your drink. Better to just get a sealed bottle of beer. My friend’s daughter went last year for cruise spring break and her drink was spiked. She ended up in hospital and parents had to pay almost $5,000 before she could be released as well.  I suggest that if you do go into port to also pay for Mexico’s medical insurance as well.

Source(s): Life experience

No, thank goodness. The cruise line doesn't want to deal with drunk teens onboard, and neither do the other passengers. 

• Herfnerd
      1 week agoReport

Been on cruise ships where drunk teens were being carried down the pier back to the ship.......

• Kelly

The drinking age on all cruise ships (regardless of cruiseline)  departing from the U.S. is 21.  There is no waiver for your parents to sign.

Some European ports have younger ages but that's because the drinking age in much of Europe is younger and the drinking age is different for beer/wine than it is for liquor.

You can drink at ports you stop at in Mexico.

• Mrsjvb

the drinking age onboard is 21, period, regardless of where the ship actually is.   no waivers on any cruise departing from North America.  ( some European itineraries will permit it)  

If you are departing from the US - the answer is that there is not a thing you or your parents can do to allow you to drink on the ship.  

All passengers must be 18 years old to drink beer and wine, and 21 to drink the hard stuff; however when the ship is docked or anchored in an American port, or within the 3-mile limit, the drinking age is 21 for all alcoholic beverages. To gamble in the casino, passengers must be 21 or older.

depends where you are sailing FROM, like the country of departure. then of course if you are on land then it depends on the country but in my experience the legal age on international waters was 21 as the country the ship starts from had the drinking age as 21