How to stop cutting/biting my nails?

I have a very bad habit of cutting/biting my nails. Recently, I cut the upper part of my nail and exposed my nail bed. It was inflamed for 2 days but then went back down. I'm trying my hardest to not cut anymore but I cut a few parts near the top that's adding weeks to the 6 months I need for my nail to fully grow back. How can I stop myself from biting or cutting my nails so my nail can grow back? I included a picture for anyone that's curious on how this looks like. Thank you in advance.

Favorite Answer

I bit my nails for yeeaarrss and I only stopped because I got braces, so my teeth hurt too much to chew. But I did try several other things that you could try: there is nail polish specifically meant for nail biters, it's clear and tastes awful; if you are a person that gets manicures, a set of acrylics will keep your nails covered up so you can't chew them; set up a reward system for yourself, start small, like treat yourself if you go from breakfast to dinner without biting; sometimes people bite their nails because their brain needs something to keep busy, try carrying around something you can fidget with like a spinner or a small rock or a clicker. Overall, just take it slowly and don't beat yourself up if you fall back, not all habits are easy to break and it may take some hard work. But you've got this! I believe in you!

Applying nail polish on your nails may help.

I started to play with silly putty slime slinky's and all other little toys and like now i'm playing with sticky tack for posters and don't even realize what i pick of my dresser but time fly's faster and i don't bite my nails no more. 

The doctor had me take a vitamin D pill once a week to help and the nails where back to normal in a month and i had them bubbles under the nails from vitamin d being low at the time.

yes.................

• Olive

I knew some people that wore gloves every chance they got. Or can think of other things when get it on ur mind or keep self occupied so wont think about it. Not sure what else

that is a disgusting habit, I will never understand why people do that. It's like having the habit of making your lips chapped then eating the crust. Gross.

• Alexei1 month agoReport

Well why do you think I'm trying to get rid of it? This is the first time I cut it this bad. I started cutting it because my nail around that area became dead and I picked at it alot.