Are there lyricist that recorded their songs using ghost musicians?

Update:

A ghostwriter/ghostmusician is hired to write or record musical works, speeches, or other texts that are officially credited to another person as the author.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Tim Rice (collaborator of Andrew Lloyd Webber) and Bernie Taupin (collaborator of Elton John) might be the top two. Hmm, both British. I wonder if there’s a connection?

Stephen Sondheim, widely considered to be the best lyricist ever in musical theater, plays piano but not professionally. I’m not sure anyone has heard him play in public; only privately in his own home.

Irving Berlin was one of the top lyricists of the American Songbook era, and even though he also composed his own melodies, he only played piano in ONE key and couldn’t even play his own pieces the way they were written. He had help with the harmonization, and they were beyond him technically.

Dorothy Fields was another top American Songbook lyricist who didn’t play anything.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Me2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

"A ghostwriter ... is hired to write ... works ... that are officially credited to another person"

This is common.  The composition phase is called "work for hire" in copyright law.  In a non-copyright context, demos, jingles, etc., seldom credit the musicians playing on them, who don't feel that it's in any way a slight.  My start in session work was doing demos, usually about five per four-hour session.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.