Are Turbos going to be replacing V6 Engines?

I know some V6's come with Turbos but most now are 4 cylinders especially BMW and Audi.

I like V6's they sound better, but in my 2017 Chrysler 200S, its powerful can get up to 100 KM/Hr in 5.4 seconds, my friend had a Accord 2.0T and his was similar but his was 4 cylinders with a turbo.

Are 4 cylinder turbos more powerful than a naturally aspirated V6?

Can they tow more? Carry more load? More torque?

My car has 300 horsepower while his only 252.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Because of government CAFE requirements, the entire lineup of vehicles produced by any given manufacturer must average "X" miles per gallon. The only way to produce more expensive models with larger engines is to squeeze the cheaper cars into producing the most miles per gallon. Hence they have put mostly turbocharged four cylinder engines in the smaller cars so the gas hogs, trucks or sports cars, can still be produced with large engines and lower MPG's.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Turbos are just add-ons to engines. They can not replace engines.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The turbo boost air flow thus increase horse power, but when one brakes and they do; it is a very costly repair: if it can be repaired at all.  The V6 is by far the better choice.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

You can't do anything with just a turbo. It needs to be attached to an engine for it to do anything.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

They already are replacing V6 engines.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I have a 3 cylinder 1.0L turbo - it puts out nearly the same hp as the same car 20 years ago with a 2.0L and much better fuel mileage. Torque is lacking though as the HP is in the higher RPM range (obviously that is when the turbo is pumping full pressure) - makes a manual transmission a little more touchy from a stop since turbo isn't doing much at lower rpm, but once you get it going just letting it rev a little it really comes alive. 

• F
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

You have to rev the nuts off those little engines which defeats the object of better fuel economy. However, they perform well in the official tests which is what matters to the makers, not what they are like in real life.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They already are to a certain extent.

Manufacturers need to meet more stringent fuel economy specs around the globe and downsizing engine displacement and cylinder numbers is one way to do it.  Forced induction then allows that smaller engine to make the same amount of power ( and ever greater in some cases ) than the larger V6 engines they replace.

• No.  Turbos are more popular in countries outside the U.S. because some of them charge a tax based on an engine's displacement, and turbos are a way around that tax.  But as the saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement.  Larger engines have no hesitation and no exhaust gas heated shafts spinning at tens of thousands of rpms.  Turbo engines need a lower compression ratio, which decreases efficiency. If you review rebuild specs for engines that are available in turbo and non-turbo form, you'll find a few clearances in the turbo version that are slightly looser, because those parts run hotter, under more stress, and need more room to expand.  Turbos do enjoy an advantage at altitude, a non turbo will make about 15% less horses in Denver than it does at sea level, while the turbo will retain its full stable.

• arther
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

pretty much every diesel is turbo. the turbo barra would be one of my favourite engines 4 litre straight 6. The v6 in the amarok is turbo diesel.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i doubt it .. manufacturers play the numbers to sell sporty cars and make the numbers work on emissions requirements .. power level is all in how the motor is set up and tuned ..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.