Brother gave me a car. He has insurance on it but I don't. Can my insurance for my own other car cover me. Or do I hafta buy it for this car?

Or does his policy cover me? He has full coverage. In California....

• Bort

If he still has coverage on it the easiest and cheapest thing to do is have him add you to his insurance policy as a driver.

• g

In the United States an automobile is insured, not a person.

Did your brother sign over title of the vehicle to you?  If so, it is your responsibility to have the vehicle insured.  Your current policy on the "other car" is not applicable to this car.  

• zipper

Call your agent and have the coverage transferred to that car. Just a phone call and depending on the car there may be a price adjustment in the turn over.

If your brother doesn't own the car anymore, his insurance policy is worth nothing.  If the title is still in his name and he's just letting you drive it, that's a different story.  

It's all about who officially owns the vehicle on paper, no exceptions.  The legal owner (not the driver) is legally responsible for their vehicle, including any loss or damage it causes.  Lemmy give you an example...  

My wife is the registered legal owner of both vehicles in our house, even though we refer to one of them as 'my' car.  That means 'my' car has to be insured in my wife's name, because she's the legal owner.  The insurance company knows I'm the principal driver, and they have me listed as such on the policy, but I'm not the legal owner.  That means I can't insure the vehicle in my name, because I have no insurable interest in the vehicle.

So who officially owns this car you're asking about?  Whose name appears on the title document?  That's who has to be the named insured on the policy.

Cars in your name have to be listed on your policy. You won't need separate policies.

Call your insurance company and tell them the VIN of the second car and they will add it to your current policy with them.

• May

"He has insurance on it but I don't".........

It is clear that you have no clue as to how vehicle insurance works.  For the answer to the question you ask; Yes.  His policy will cover you.     There is no such thing as (needing to) "being on" anyone else's insurance.  Why?  Because vehicles are insured..... not people. 

If anyone drives a insured car with permission and has a valid drivers license (except in cases where the people live in the same household and the insurance company has not been notified of all licensed drivers who share living in that same household)  they will be covered by whatever insurance is on the vehicle.

You need to sit down with an insurance agent and get a 2 minute "insurance 101" lesson

ask your insurer. Your old insurance might cover you for a day or two of buying a new car but then you have to call & tell them. His insurance would not cover you after buying it.

If it's registered in his name, he has to insure it and also advise the insurance company that you are the primary driver. If it is registered in your name you have to insure it yourself and his insurance ain't covering shite right now.  

• Ron

If he gave you the car and your name is on the title and registration then his insurance would not cover you