Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 3 months ago

Can short people be good at football?

Like a little short not extremely

all things are possible

Darren Sproles is listed at 5'6 but I doubt that's accurate. Probably closer to 5'3. 

• Cu Tie

Yes, my sister was 4'11" and 98 pounds when she played her only year of football during her senior year of high school. She outperformed the neighbor (a star running back, who was a high school junior that year) on the football field that fall.

• Blocking Back

She was never on a team.  Get help.

My sophomore year we had a safety who was 5'5" and he was good at a fairly high level HS league.  I was the shortest full season starter my senior year at 5'8"  They had a 5'5" tailback the next year.  Speed helped the short guys: the tailback ran a 4.5 and the safety was a 4.6 or 4.7.  The tailback was hurt a lot of the time.

• Cu Tie

According to the Courier Post, Krizhka Cuenta outrushed Carlton Koonce during the 2007 season, when Krizhka was a senior at Merion Mercy and Carlton was a junior at Rancocas Valley. Also, Krizhka wore her sneakers every day that school year, and her feet smelled consistently worse than Carlton's.

They can be but not likely. Injury would be too great a risk I would think. I am sure some can be though. Shortest star in NFL history was Darren Sproles (5'6" 190). There may have been other players but he was the shortest star.

• 3 months agoReport

sanders?

Yes, there have been good players who are a little short.

• oikoσ

Not as ends or wide receivers but being short is an advantage if you are playing the line. In other words, being tall is an advantage if you have to catch, deflect, or throw the ball. Otherwise, it helps to be short. When I played center, nobody could get under me and I could wedge pretty much any pass-rusher off his feet.

• oikoσ

I think you will find that most receivers are quite tall. Was it Carmichael who set the record for number of consecutive games with a reception (with the Eagles)? He was quite tall. And, when I was young enough to play center, I was lighter than you. Think strength and leverage, not height.

Sure.

Some of the best running backs, both historically and today, are quite short.

As just one example, Darren Sproles is only 5'5".