Is it normal for my 4 year old son to poop when he sleeps. He also wets the bed?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Trisha
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

4 is way too old to be wetting the bed.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

No, it's not normal at all. Is he having nightmares?, because if he is experiencing nightmare, then that may be why.

• 4 weeks ago

It is not normal to poop during sleep but some kids still wet bed at that age, I was 12 before I stopped wetting the bed. Speak to your doctor about it

• edward
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

My niece 6 is usually pretty good about going before bed but she wears the pull ups still just in case, hasn’t done it it weeks but her parents want to be super careful

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Yes actually-

There are two types of toilet training, which are 1) daytime training and 2) nigh-time training. Most children are day time trained by the time they are 2-3 years old, some as young as 18 months in rare cases, this is strictly related to day time toilet training. Night-time training actually occurs later on, most childen's bladders are not fully developed until 5 years old, so, even children as old as 6/7 can still wet the bed at night occasionally.

Your son is fine, there is nothing wrong medically with him! Actually it takes longer to toilet train males, than it does females, your son is no exception here. At 4 nightime accidents not only are common, they are the norm! The reason for night-time training being harder, is children are asleep, its' hard to get their minds in tune with their bodies when they are asleep. When a child is 4 and their bladder is "full" they instantly use the bathroom, its not a matter of minutes, its a matter of seconds, so when they are asleep it takes their brain/body longer to react and for them to wake up to go to the toilet, which is why accidents at night tend to happen.

My nephews who turned 4 last October, still wear pull-ups to bed! To this day, they still occasionally piss or **** themselves in their sleep! When it comes to day time training they were late, they weren't fully trained until 3 1/2, night-time for them is a work in progress for the both of them.

Your son should be fully bladder trained by the time he's 5.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.