promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Was It Easier To Become an Actor 10-15 Years Ago?

I feel that everyone I know who made it as an actor WITHOUT connections is in their 30's or 40's now.

Seems like 1995-2010 was an easier time to break into the acting industry, no?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No - that's not at all true.  It's been incredibly hard for over 45 years.  I know dozens of excellent actors who have never managed to even get an audition for any role in a big production.  

It started to get like that when agencies started to become extremely commercial.  In the UK, for example, good agencies won't even consider anyone who hasn't graduated from one of the very best drama schools, like RADA.It's actually getting a little easier recently, due to better communications, more low-budget films being made and agencies realising that not everyone had the finances to afford to go to a top drama school and that there are many other really good acting schools out there.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

As someone who worked professionally 10-15 years ago I would have to disagree.  

Between streaming services, cable networks, video games, YouTube, audio books, there are far more opportunities for actors.  Plus the advances in technology makes it easier (and cheaper) to produce your own projects then it was 10 or 15 years ago.

And frankly no one “makes it” without connections. Someone may begin a career with no contacts, but building a successful acting career requires networking - building and maintaining industry connections.  Social media, websites and the like allow for more opportunities for an actor to network, market themselves and make connections. That’s very different then 10-15 years ago.  It’s quicker and easier to do online submissions today then mailing in a head shot and resume or sending in a VHS tape or CD like was done 10-15 years ago.

It also depends on what you mean by “make it” or “breaking in”.  Acting is an incredibility unstable career.  Having been cast in one major project doesn’t mean you’ll be cast in anything else any time soon. Breaking into the industry doesn’t mean you’ll stay in the industry. Ten years ago or today successful actors need to be good business people.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.