does having a usb optical drive affect the speed or quality of the CD when running it at all?

Most pcs don't have built in optical drives anymore. i still have some games and other media i use on my PC that are on a CD.

if I get a desktop PC with no optical drive, so i get a one with a USB port, does that affect the quality since it's not built in to the pc at all? or is it the same just not in the physical case of the unit?

i'm looking to upgrade my laptop to a better desktop, as i don't even take my laptop with me all over anyway. and if i needed to in the future, i can just get an ipad.

let me know what your thoughts are please.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

same quality. the external drives are actually less at risk to excess heat

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

No, but if there is space in your case consider fitting, or getting one fitted internally. Otherwise you will be taking up usable desk space.

• Kyle
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

i have plenty of desk space.  or i would just stick it on top of the pc tower. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If it's USB 3.0-compatible then the drive speed is going to be the bottleneck, rather than the interface.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

There is no optical drive that can keep up with the speed of a USB 3.0 interface. The previous USB 2.0 interface was closer to the max speed of the optical drive. So USB 3.0 gives you a bit of breathing space.

• 1 month ago

It is the same just not in the physical case of the unit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.